• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

HELP!!! SOS!

SasyStace

3 Year Member
I need some advice from my peeps.

I have a small arboreal Exo Terra that came with my Poec. Regalis (christmas special) I added stuff (plastic plants, cork bark substrate) and the little guy took right to it made a couple pretty hides from his own webbing- about a week later I went to check on him and he's gone- well I know it isn't even remotely possible for him to escape so this made me turn the enclosure around and sure enough he's behind the wall that comes in those things. ugh... I dropped a couple crickets in and he easily crawled right under the bottom (which he dug out to get under) and ate his kill then went right back behind that space. I guess my question is- should I Temp- rehome him and super glue those gaps closed then add him back in. Or should I not worry about it?

Anyone else have this happen to them?

Thanks in advance for all the advice :)

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You can take him out and put him back in that same day if you want. As long as the glue is solidified, then it shouldn't be that big of a problem. You don't need to keep him out for more than a few hours.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My P. irminia did exactly the same thing so I just took the background out altogether.

Another thing to watch for is that at the top back corner there are holes for cables and there is a slide to close them, make sure its closed.

SasyStace

3 Year Member
You can take him out and put him back in that same day if you want. As long as the glue is solidified, then it shouldn't be that big of a problem. You don't need to keep him out for more than a few hours.
my biggest worry was that he would get too fat and not be able to get back under and into the actual enclosure- I will fix it tonight :) Thanks Chubbs

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
my biggest worry was that he would get too fat and not be able to get back under and into the actual enclosure- I will fix it tonight :) Thanks Chubbs
I'd take him out, seal it OR remove it and put him right back in asap. If u glue it in, just be aware, if u use too much, it will be a nightmare to get back out if u ever plan on it. That's the downfall. I personally would glue it, and while it's wet, press some moss onto it, so it looks more natural, and its still well sealed.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You'd actually be surprised how they can squeeze themselves through ridiculously tight spaces, even the larger ones can do it quite well. I'd still seal it up anyway though just so you don't have to deal with it at all.

Roo

3 Year Member

I use Velcro for the reptiles.. But I think if a T did get back there it would get it's hair's stuck on it.

You could try putting two bits of flat wood (cork bark) side by side inside so it creates a crevice in the middle for it.

SasyStace

3 Year Member
You'd actually be surprised how they can squeeze themselves through ridiculously tight spaces, even the larger ones can do it quite well. I'd still seal it up anyway though just so you don't have to deal with it at all.

See I wasn't too worried about it until I stumbled upon another post with a similar situation and that OP was talking about his T getting stuck? so then I started thinking about it and it gave me a little anxiety. he's already webbed the hell outta that space as well so this should be so much fun. I couldn't get to it last night but tonight it's my mission.

micheldied

3 Year Member
I'd just remove the backdrop altogether. If you glue it there, it's going to be stuck there forever, and if you messed up and left a gap somewhere, it's going to be a pain to fix.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
what if you filled the space just where shes getting in with something she cant dig through? even a few small stones to block her from burrowing under?

SasyStace

3 Year Member
what if you filled the space just where shes getting in with something she cant dig through? even a few small stones to block her from burrowing under?

Brilliant idea! unfortunately anyway I do it I will need to destroy the funnel web she built protecting the entrance. Oh well such is the life of a T in captivity LOL

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Brilliant idea! unfortunately anyway I do it I will need to destroy the funnel web she built protecting the entrance. Oh well such is the life of a T in captivity LOL
They love to web. Gives her an excuse to do it again :) She'll thank you.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thankfully Pokies don't web very much compared to other arboreals, at least as adults. So it won't be too much of an issue.