• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help please

dazray9

I have a 1 year old salmon pink, she has recently started to chew up and bite the polystyrene backing in the tank?? Anyone have an I site as to why she's doing this and I'm guessing I need to remove it?? Will it harm her if ingested??

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Could it be that a cricket has got down the back. Crickets will chew holes in the polystyrene backing to get behind and a T will follow.
The T won't eat the backing but I'd remove it.

dazray9

Could it be that a cricket has got down the back. Crickets will chew holes in the polystyrene backing to get behind and a T will follow.
The T won't eat the backing but I'd remove it.
Thankyou but def no food left in there she kills everything and anything the moment it moves a foot and she's on massive locusts at present so nothing small has escaped that's for sure will attempt removal of it tomorrow but she's been rather feisty lately I do wonder that now she has shed again and is currently around 7-8 inches whether she needs a bigger enclosure (currently in 30x30x30)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thankyou but def no food left in there she kills everything and anything the moment it moves a foot and she's on massive locusts at present so nothing small has escaped that's for sure will attempt removal of it tomorrow but she's been rather feisty lately I do wonder that now she has shed again and is currently around 7-8 inches whether she needs a bigger enclosure (currently in 30x30x30)
Mine at that size is in a 60x25x25and has been for a few years.

Kazegal

I highly doubt that she would be able to eat the polystyrene as the prey is usually being digested (liquefied) before the sucking stomach sucks it up, but I am sure others will chime in on this.

Depending on the enclosure you can decorate it in a way that it has levels which gives the tarantula extra room. I would just make sure that there is enough substrate so that when she decides to climb up high and falls down, she doesn't get injured. My giant female is in a 30x30x30cm enclosure, but I have used a giant piece of cork bark as a hide on the bottom, so she has more space than just the 30x30 (a bit like a house with multiple floors). Mine also spends most of her time in the hide.

Latest posts