• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help please! Possibly dying during molt

TareLee

3 Year Member
My Rosie was on her back this morning in what I assumed to be a moulting position. This was at 930 and now it is 10 hours later and there has been no change other than the presence of a reddish goo coming from her mouth? I don't know what this discharge is, if she is dying, or what I should do! Please help! :(

Attachments

• 20130607_185757.jpg
    20130607_185757.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 224

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tare, I am terribly sorry I missed this post last night!

Please let us know how she's doing. I know some molts can talk a LONG time, and the older it seems the longer. Most say not to panic if it has not been 24 hours yet.

Sending positive thoughts your way!

TareLee

3 Year Member
So it turns out she is not molting. There is no evidence of a molt other than that she was on her back. But I unfortunately think I figured it out today! I think my baby has DKS. What can I do! For the past two weeks she had been "dancing" I thought it was cute and thought she was doing it because she finally ate after a 5 month fat and was happy and energized :( but I was ignorant! And now I assume the worms I bought her must be contaminated and I am Def going after the company!

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I am so sorry to hear this Tare. I know back in the fall several of our member in the Midwest and East had a similar issue with bad crickets. *hug*

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
I've been reading threads on DKS. I've noticed two different things can trigger it. Severe Cold, and Pesticides. Mainly like the flea stuff you put on your dogs. The best thing I can tell you to do is power feed it. If it lasts till it's next molt and does indeed have a successful molt, you could have totally new behavior. I've read that once the persons T with DKS molts it's usually fine, however it living till it molts is another thing.

I hope all is well, and I hope she makes it!

TareLee

3 Year Member
Well I have an update, but I'm afraid it's not a happy one. When I woke up this morning I discovered Freddi had died in her ICU :(
To be sure I've put her in the freezer but I saw no sign of life.
The only thing I can think of is this didn't happen until after she ate, so I am concerned about the worms being infected with pesticide. I don't use flea treatment on my dogs and don't have any in the house, and she has not been exposed to any extreme cold and had had access to water at all times. :(

TareLee

3 Year Member
I know she was a T and my first T and I never thought I'd be so attached but when I care for something like that I take it very seriously and do things 100%.
With my next one though I am apparently going to order my feed froma reputable online source. I feel I can no longer trust my local store!

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
Sorry, that sucks! Might I ask why you put it in the freezer though? Next time leave it in the ICU until it starts to smell. You never know right? Some will molt on their backs or standing up, rob C has had it happen. He thought his buddies t was dead and left it. Came back to it molting. Not saying that was your case, definitely doesn't seem like it. But next time try not to dispose of your T until you're absolutely sure it was dead.

Sorry for your loss!

TareLee

3 Year Member
Thanks everyone.

And I froze her because I was 99% sure she was dead and if she wasn't I had made the decision she should be euthanized. She had been in the ICU for 3 days after having DKS symptoms for 2 weeks, and she was in a death curl the whole last day and not moving for the last 12 hours.

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tare, trust your judgement. If you feel she wasn't with us, or likely not going to be with us much longer, freezing is the most humane way IMHO. *hugs*

Latest posts