• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help me Identify these Avics

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
I know the genus is really messed up, but I'd really like to know what these are.

This one seems to look more like an avic.avic but I can't be 100% sure. It's female and it's about 4.5 inches.

This one here looks more like a A.Metallica. It also is female and is 4.5 inches give or take. But again I can't be sure what it is.

This is for sure an A.Avic MM. So it may help as a reference. I like this genus, avics are awesome. But it's sooooo screwed up! And I'm not sure why.

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
See I'd like to think they were all A.Avics. But the middle one has no red satae on the abdomen at all, and seems to have white or silvery racing stripes down each side of the abdomen.. Which is what baffles me. Where as the first one has a subtle brown to it.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Stumped on the first one. The second I would say A.metallica and the third is A.avic for sure.

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
Second one is definitely have some problems, it fell a few times so I had to move it. I'm hoping it's just in need of a molt, however Kenny and I are under the conclusion that it has internal parasites. Time will tell. But I'm going on vacation here for the weekend and when I come home I'm not expecting it to be alive. It's in a fall proof enclosure now, but here is to hoping it doesn't pass. It has some strange behavior, though it is a new t, it sure does pace a lot.

She is okay for now and has eaten, so probably no immanent molt, but who knows, each T is different. My male ate days before molting sooo.

I do think the first one is an A.Avic though!

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I watched the vid in the other post...pretty unusual for sure. Can I ask why you guys are thinking parasites? Not questioning you guys, I'm genuinely curious. Hope it is just in need of a moult and gets better, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
Kenny himself had one pass away due to parasites, and the only other options were it really needs a molt, and DKS. And I don't believe in DKS one bit, I believe it's a poor excuse for husbandry, so I ruled that one out myself. :p

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I look at DKS as a set of symptoms, not as a disease. Dyskinesia is basically a movement disorder, and you do see T's present with spastic movements and trouble controlling their motor functions, so it does exist as a symptom. My theory on DKS is pesticide exposure, whether directly or indirectly (like feeders that have been exposed). SADS on the other hand, I believe to be tied to poor husbandry. So internal parasites can cause arboreals to lose their grip? I really want to learn more about this, especially since I love arboreals and avics, so the more I can learn the better :)

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
As we can see in the video it doesn't have the twitching static movement, which I've seen in every other DKS video. However every static movement/weird behavior is associated with DKS. And I've seen a lot of arguments as to the term DKS and what exactly Dyskinesia is which proved to be a very interesting read. But none the less, DKS was ruled out.

From what I understand the parasites will throw off the T's balance. And I find it paces around the enclosure much more than any of the other T's I own, and in comparison to my other Avics that generally move an inch or two a day. This specimen however walks around a lot! Whether that is a symptom of internal parasites I don't know, I'm going to have to do some research on it. Another symptom Kenny noticed was that his T pooped abnormally more often than his others, which I have not noticed as of yet.

So all in all I'm thinking it needs a molt, but I will not rule out the possibility of impending death. It has access to water and it still eats fine, as well as it gets misted on a weekly bases, some times twice because it likes to dry out.

Another option my friend mentioned was that it could be the humidity change. "Riverfront" the place I purchased it from does not keep their T's in the best of conditions, however I purchased two there at the same time, and the other seems to have no problem coping. It actually has not moved very much lol. My male will follow her around from his enclosure. It's quite funny to watch.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah I definitely don't see any evidence of dks in your avic, no spastic movements or anything; just looks like she keeps loosing her grip while she's walking.

I'd definitely be interested in knowing whatever you find out about the parasites. Always love learning, and I find parasites (even though they're pretty horrible) fascinating. Definitely keep me posted on anything you do find out. I hope this doesn't end up being the case with your T, she's gorgeous...and I'd love some future babies, if/when you do breed her :)

Our A.avic was kept in a 10 galleon tank with no humidity at all, not even a water dish; just a bowl of cricket gel. She was kept like this for over four months with the previous owner. I didn't really notice any real behaviour changes once we started keeping her properly, other than she spent a ton of time at the water bowl when we first got her, and she's much 'fatter' now than she was then. Karina does move around quite a bit as well, but I've never seen her fall or even lose her footing. Not saying that humidity change could or couldn't be the issue, just thought I'd share my experience with you. It's crazy how adaptable they are.

Latest posts