• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help! (lethargic)

Leena32

I think i may have screwed up and killed my trinidad chevron, i only had this enclosure in the meantime but i guess it was too big to cause it direct harm. it’s lethargic currently and had moved its little legs from what ive noticed. at this point i’m freaking out and hoping i did good on my part in assisting it this way.
IMG_0426.jpeg

Attachments

• 4863C9B1-5FB4-42F7-B833-79CF692B8289.jpeg
    4863C9B1-5FB4-42F7-B833-79CF692B8289.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 16

Stan Schultz

3 Year Member
You need to tell us a lot more about your chevron. Things like:

1) How long have you had it?
2) Has it ever eaten for you?
3) How big is it. Use diagonal leg span (DLS) as illustrated in the attached photo.
4) Do you see any whitish exudate (i.e., "discharge") around its mouth or anus?
5) Has it recently been exposed to direct sunlight for more than a few seconds?
6) Have you dropped it or otherwise mishandled it?
7) Why is the cage in the first photo so wet?
8) Do you keep it that wet all the time?
9) Have you been spraying (or "spritzing") it with water to maintain an elevated humidity?
10) Describe in detail what you think is wrong with it? What might have caused this condition?
11) We also need a better look at the tarantula itself. Can you supply us a photo without all the clutter and "stuff?"

Visit and read The Intensive Care Unit (ICU). Instead of turning the whole cage into a fetid swamp, construct an ICU and TEMPORARILY move it into the ICU. Leave it in there for two to three days, while you clean up and reorganize its cage or move it into a different, less hostile one. (Too much moss. Probably too wet. From your comments, probably too huge.)

[Be forewarned that the webpage was recently moved to a friend's server when its original host server shut down, and I haven't yet had an opportunity to find a new, permanent host server or update any of the internal links. Few if any of them will work. Get back to me (E-mail address in the sig below) if you want to read any of the linked references. Also, because I haven't had an opportunity to edit the webpage for a number of years, a few details are now obsolete. If something seems a bit odd, or doesn't work, get back to me for a clarification.]

Awaiting for your response...

Stan

Attachments

• DLS000.jpg
    DLS000.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 8

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
For me telling someone to remove a T from one over wet environment, so you can place it in a different over wet environment, makes no logical, or good husbandry sense at all.

ICU's can make a difference if a T is dehydrated, but if it's not dehydrated & if it's already in an over wet environment, then how is an ICU going to help? And is it more likely to cause harm by increasing an already stressed T stress, by moving it. Plus, please don't use an ITU over prolonged periods of several days. If higher moisture levels are going to help, they will help within a few hours.

Think of an ICU as a last ditch attempt to keep a dying T alive & as something that is as likely to cause unneeded extra stress & thus, possibly, result in a faster death. AN ICU is a last ditch attempt, that is sometimes worth the effort, if dehydration is suspected.

ICU's are very contentious, so only use them if you really need to & if dehydration is strongly suspected. And for the sake of your T, please think very carefully before moving it from one over wet environment to another.

If not dehydrated, think of an ICU as the equivalent of trying to stop a 40 ton truck by opening the door & dragging your foot on the ground. At least it makes you feel like you are trying to do something, but don't expect good results.