• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

HELP Lasiodora parahybana Not moving much

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Oh ok so my other 13 Ts will get the same symptoms? Can you get the infection treated ? Also what shall I feed my Ts then.? I feed my slings bean weevils are they ok ?

I can't answer the infection question, but I would like to suggest red-runner roaches as an alternative feeder. I 'think' I remember you getting some Ts from the spider shop. The spider shop seem to usually have red runners in stock. They also sell a range of worms for feeders, and sometimes dubia roaches but I have heard they tend to burrow.

Personally I like to mix up my feeders every now and again like it would be in the wild, so I do still use crickets sometimes, sometimes worms (although I have heard they have a high fat content so are more of a treat), then I use red runners as the staple diet. They can be hard to find, I have only ever managed to get them online from the spider shop and once from amazon lol. Therefore I have found it easier to breed my own once I got hold of a decent amount. It took about 9 weeks after them laying eggs for them to hatch for me, heating them at around 24 degrees C, but they are finally breeding! Once they get going they are handy for all sizes of T as the nymphs are tiny so they range through tiny, small, medium, large. They also live a lot longer than crickets, and need cleaning hardly anywhere near as much.

On the cricket and infections topic - that is worrying me a bit now too, but I have heard so much conflicting advice about it. Some prefer feeding crickets for various reasons, and I did hope that if I got mine from reputable sources like TSS, then they would be cared for properly and not carry infections....?

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
They also sell a range of worms for feeders, and sometimes dubia roaches but I have heard they tend to burrow.

With Dubia roaches you crush their heads to stop them burrowing. Roaches can easily live for days with no head so it's not an issue. I also find with Dubia that the best way of getting a feeding response with them is to throw them in on their backs. They wriggle their legs & that induces a feeding response.

I must admit, despite having the Dubia colony, I mainly feed crickets, as they get the best feeding response from my adult T's.

My slings get whole decapitated mealworms. By decapitating them I stop them burrowing & then popping up as a beetle & I also offer an easy way to the food, even for the smallest slings. And a whole mealworm is easier to spot & remove the next day. Although even a 1cm sling can move a large mealworm into a burrow, so I do lose some.

Gizalba

3 Year Member
With Dubia roaches you crush their heads to stop them burrowing. Roaches can easily live for days with no head so it's not an issue. I also find with Dubia that the best way of getting a feeding response with them is to throw them in on their backs. They wriggle their legs & that induces a feeding response.

I must admit, despite having the Dubia colony, I mainly feed crickets, as they get the best feeding response from my adult T's.

My slings get whole decapitated mealworms. By decapitating them I stop them burrowing & then popping up as a beetle & I also offer an easy way to the food, even for the smallest slings. And a whole mealworm is easier to spot & remove the next day. Although even a 1cm sling can move a large mealworm into a burrow, so I do lose some.

Thanks for those tips, really helpful! I have actually ordered some dubias to try which are arriving this week.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I would place that tarantula in an icu (damp paper towels and a water source to drink from inside a bowl/container). Clean the terrarium out. Put fresh substrate in. Clean the water dish/fresh water. Wait until you notice a positive change in the tarantula or see if it fully recovers- then put it back in the terrarium.

Nm...lol. I see she is doing better but I will leave this note here just in case you need the info again..

Keymond69

I would place that tarantula in an icu (damp paper towels and a water source to drink from inside a bowl/container). Clean the terrarium out. Put fresh substrate in. Clean the water dish/fresh water. Wait until you notice a positive change in the tarantula or see if it fully recovers- then put it back in the terrarium.

Nm...lol. I see she is doing better but I will leave this note here just in case you need the info again..
Thanks Casey for the info, I really don’t know what was wrong she’s still not 100% but she’s doing better cx

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Do you think it could be the heating on all day ? It’s really cold in England at this present time ?

Tarantulas can withstand cooler temps a lot better than heat. If you are using a heat mat, place it on the side of the tank instead of underneath it. If you have a heat lamp, take it completely off the cage or turn it off. No need for it. I'm sure it doesn't get below freezing inside your house, right? I've had temps as low as the 50s in my T room when power went out and they were fine. :)

Keymond69

Here she is , eating fine

Attachments

• 82D531AC-7561-4B53-A9EB-A251046B0F61.jpeg
    82D531AC-7561-4B53-A9EB-A251046B0F61.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4

Latest posts