• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help - juvenile C. versicolor at bottom of enclosure, tiny gritty things in water dish

smallbike

3 Year Member
Mittens is about 2.75” across, has always done well and up until a few weeks ago, was webbing the top of this enclosure like usual. I took the web down because she’d (I don't know if she's actually a she) molted and had a bunch of pieces scattered around (I waited a good few weeks before doing so) and she decided to rebuild down here. She ate 2 nights ago, so I assume that’s a good sign, but she’s never done this before so I’m concerned.

Last night, I changed her water, and when I checked on her today, there was this light brown/peach colored grit at the bottom of her dish (pictured, seltzer can for size reference). I have another T who is a serial dish-pooper - this is definitely not poop.

Enclosure pics included - I added a lot more ventilation than it came with but I've heard some of this behavior can mean not enough for an arboreal. Now with the grit, I'm wondering if it's an impaction.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Attachments

• enclosure 4.jpeg
    enclosure 4.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 22
  • enclosure 3.jpeg
    enclosure 3.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 26
  • grit 2.jpeg
    grit 2.jpeg
    835.8 KB · Views: 23
  • grit 1.jpeg
    grit 1.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
  • mittens and enclosure.jpeg
    mittens and enclosure.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 19
  • mittens 1.jpeg
    mittens 1.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 17
  • enclosure 2.jpeg
    enclosure 2.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 15
  • enclosure 1.jpeg
    enclosure 1.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 20

Teresaisrad

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The set up looks good to me. Plenty of ventilation.
I would say I never destroy any of my T's webbing if possible.
Molt pieces in the webbing is of little concern.
Maybe the T moved towards the bottom cause it is a bit unsettled.

smallbike

3 Year Member
The set up looks good to me. Plenty of ventilation.
I would say I never destroy any of my T's webbing if possible.
Molt pieces in the webbing is of little concern.
Maybe the T moved towards the bottom cause it is a bit unsettled.
That makes sense, though it’s been a few weeks and this is a somewhat new behavior. I was a lot less worried before I saw the grainy material in the dish - does that sound like impaction in your experience?

smallbike

3 Year Member
I really like that enclosure! if you dont mind me asking where did you get it? I would like to get a couple of them
Thanks! It’s a Vivarium Electronics enclosure I got at the East Bay Vivarium in Berkeley CA. I had to add a lot more ventilation, but since it’s acrylic it was pretty easy.

Teresaisrad

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That makes sense, though it’s been a few weeks and this is a somewhat new behavior. I was a lot less worried before I saw the grainy material in the dish - does that sound like impaction in your experience?
Not in my experience. I found that they will have loss of appetite and slow down a lot. You can sometimes see a lot of poo at their anus, and no signs of waste for quite some time. Also the size of the abdomen will be quite larger than normal in between feedings.

smallbike

3 Year Member
Update - turns out the angle of the sun this time of year was bothering her, so I put a bandana over some of the top/sides and she’s back up to where she normally is!

Doesn’t explain the weird substance in her dish, but I’ll keep an eye on her.

Apollosdad

Update - turns out the angle of the sun this time of year was bothering her, so I put a bandana over some of the top/sides and she’s back up to where she normally is!

Doesn’t explain the weird substance in her dish, but I’ll keep an eye on her.
My C. Versicolor has had exactly the same thing in her water dish a few times? I was starting to worry but was not sure where to start. I have rehomed her 6 days ago and she is starting to web up really well and is eating with no signs of anything unusual, so I'm hoping its nothing, and she is over whatever it was? But I will keep an eye on it and let you know if it returns. If you find anything out I would appreciate knowing what it is please.