• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help Choosing a First Poecilotheria

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I am still very careful around mine but not so overcautious as the OP.

I'm the OP and I haven't demonstrated any level of cautiousness because I don't have any Poecilotheria yet. Just wanted to clarify who we were talking about.

Once I get one or several, I won't be wearing all that protective gear… I'll just put on a full bee suit every time I open the cage! :D

sdsnybny

3 Year Member
I'm the OP and I haven't demonstrated any level of cautiousness because I don't have any Poecilotheria yet. Just wanted to clarify who we were talking about.

Once I get one or several, I won't be wearing all that protective gear… I'll just put on a full bee suit every time I open the cage! :D
LOL I misread who the OP was...comment was directed towards @Whitelightning777

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My objectives are to prevent any fang penetration into my hands should it occur, be able to visualize the tarantula easily if it becomes confused and tries to run up my arm or head and cover my mouth and nose to avoid sneezing upon the tarantula.

P striata shows up nicely against black.

Of course, you don't NEED that stuff, but it's nice to have needle stick resistant combat motorcycle gloves with plates built in.

When I have to rehouse my T stirmi, they will also make an appearance.

I'm an armed guard and I used to ride back when my motorcycle was running. I had this stuff laying around collecting dust so why not use it?

It would be pricey to go onto Gall's or 411 tactical and buy all that at the same time as getting a pokie and a cage etc.

I don't think a bee suit is necessary. The smoke that is used might not be safe for tarantulas. It would be an interesting experiment, but a dangerous one.

If your T has nasty urticating hairs and you react badly to them, there's nothing wrong with a facial air filter and airtight goggles either. I've seen a few videos of people using them when rehousing T blondi or T stirmi because it reacts badly with them medically.

It's like President Reagan's most famous quotes, trust but verify in a way.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

My OWs are just fine to feed. No special precautions other then minimizing the time the cage is open. My H pulchripes just sticks his feet out of the hole and I drop the whatever right into the hole where the webbing is open.

Mizz "Battle tongs -- Total war bonus level" on the other hand requires more care, by which I mean a greater drop distance for feeders.

It's amazing to watch but keep your distance.

L klugi Justina headlights 2.jpg

Her apprentice also is interesting to feed.

P machala Persephone molted 3.jpg

God only knows what Mindy will do one I feed her when I get home. I'm gonna swing by Petco and get some Earthworms because I only have the small red wigglers.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I don't think a bee suit is necessary. The smoke that is used might not be safe for tarantulas. It would be an interesting experiment, but a dangerous one.

That was an attempt at humor. I actually do have a couple of bee suits for work, but I won't be donning them for any spider work. The mental image just struck me funny.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Whitelightning777 interesting gloves. Kevlar? You said they were plated as well?

Yes, one of Silverado gunshow's finest. They are tactical motorcycle police gloves, guaranteed to protect you from hand damage if you wreck on your bike and cut + stick resistant. You can pick up razor blades from a hardwood floor or a pen from a granite kitchen top very easily. Dimes are a little slick but the rest of any coin is fine. Due to the age, you can NOT use a cellphone touchscreen with them. I forget who makes them but a guy I was talking to on the job said you could use a tablet with the newer ones. The black stuff is just for tacti-cool looks. Underneath, its all kevlar and lead or steel hand protectors.

The other interesting fact is that you'll only drop them on your feet... once. You could go into some bar and bust out each knucklehead, mirror and window with one punch each. Of course, we DON'T want to act with "unconscious" bias towards any perp because each of them has the light of divinity in their eyes. ;) ;) ;)

My handwriting is somewhat worse but on any course of live fire, they'll add quite a few points to your score and eliminate all traces of trigger sting. I just wish I knew the manufacturer or took a photo of the display where they were being sold. Alas.

Like I said, he's the best behaved tarantula I have !!

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Sounds like if you were to be bitten your Tarantula would sustain a serious fang injury...Ive seen Ts break fangs from just tong feeding. Your gloves sound much worse. Personally I'd rather take the bite than chance my T losing its fangs.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
These gloves have a little give to them due to the leather. I think if he bit them he would let go because they aren't alive.

I have a thinner stick proof pair but the heat from your hands can still be felt. Here's never misbehaved before so who knows.

Last edited:

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Easier to list this way:

I have every poecilotheria except hanumavillasumica .....although, I've had several chances to acquire one, idk why i haven't....i suppose it doesnt intrigue me as much....perhaps i shall obtain one just to say i have them all....oh and i dont have the rare one or the one thats almost non existent....cant remember the scientific on that one.....

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Easier to list this way:

I have every poecilotheria except hanumavillasumica .....although, I've had several chances to acquire one, idk why i haven't....i suppose it doesnt intrigue me as much....perhaps i shall obtain one just to say i have them all....oh and i dont have the rare one or the one thats almost non existent....cant remember the scientific on that one.....
Poecilotheria rajaei ??? I'm guessing :D

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Easier to list this way:

P hamunavillasumica from what I understand are seriously endangered. That doesn't affect the legality of captive bred ones but it creates a strong moral obligation to breed them in a way that isn't there with other Ts.

I haven't researched them that much because they tend to be much more expensive then other ones.

Last edited:

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If I win the lottery, I'll bribe some bureaucrat over there.....

I'm just joking guys. So you feds can settle down now, ok?

The sad thing with that one is that people who live there can catch them, kill them, eat them or whatever. They just can't be exported.

You can clear cut a forest, whip out an AK and shoot all the spiders you want along with anything else but exporting them?

Nooooooooo!!!!!!

Some people have lost their mind. (& thrown away a source of revenue via export tariffs)

Latest posts