• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello!

Megan Wright

3 Year Member
My name is Megan and I am so excited I found this site! I just stumbled across it and I am so glad I did! I have always loved tarantulas (and spiders and lizards and salamanders... etc) and very recently got my first one, a female G. pulchripes who I purchased at around 2-1/2" in size. I have yet to name her, but I'm sure her name will come to me shortly. I also have a female German Shepherd/Norwegian Elkhound cross named Doge (a tripod! Missing her front left leg), a very fat and sassy mixed breed female cat named Neko, and my adorably unintelligent Wild Type male axolotl, Grep- he is pretty charming, even if he isn't the next axolotl einstein, haha. I plan on adding to my zoo, but only once I have a more permanent home set up. I will post pictures when I can, but for now, descriptions will have to suffice. As for me, I am a quiet, college-aged girl and an unashamed stoner and video gamer. I have always had a passion for raising things, be it animals or plants, and my ultimate goal is to become a veterinarian so I can care for my assortment of pets in the future (and I guess make money too).

So that's my introduction, glad to be here!

Megan Wright

3 Year Member
And very glad to have you ! Welcome to the forums ;)
Grammostola pulchripes is one I hope to have in future,
(still horribly new to keeping T's)
Thank you!

I have always thought they were just cool to look at and the fact that they are supposed to be good for beginners (I too am very new to the T owning field) helped me make my decision final, but I was very conflicted! At the same time, I also had the option to buy an A. versicolor sling which I looooooove how pretty they are! But the A. versicolor was super small/young, unsexed and came from a pet store where they were charging way more than I could accept for an unsexed sling. I also prefer to buy my pets from the breeder so I can know for sure how they've raised them- not just for my tarantulas but for all my pets. I feel like it's better to know how well they were raised rather than the crap-shoot you get from a pet store (not that I think pet store Ts are not as good, just not my style, no offense meant!). I bought my girl very happy and healthy from jamiestarantulas.com, and I think Jamie has listed a couple more G. pulchripes, just in case you felt like being tempted:)

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thank you!

I have always thought they were just cool to look at and the fact that they are supposed to be good for beginners (I too am very new to the T owning field) helped me make my decision final, but I was very conflicted! At the same time, I also had the option to buy an A. versicolor sling which I looooooove how pretty they are! But the A. versicolor was super small/young, unsexed and came from a pet store where they were charging way more than I could accept for an unsexed sling. I also prefer to buy my pets from the breeder so I can know for sure how they've raised them- not just for my tarantulas but for all my pets. I feel like it's better to know how well they were raised rather than the crap-shoot you get from a pet store (not that I think pet store Ts are not as good, just not my style, no offense meant!). I bought my girl very happy and healthy from jamiestarantulas.com, and I think Jamie has listed a couple more G. pulchripes, just in case you felt like being tempted:)
she does , but, there's a couple others I have my greedy eyes on ^^

Megan Wright

3 Year Member
Welcome Megan. "Beware", it can become an addiction and no known "cure". Least you run out of room or money to buy more. [emoji6]
I think I have already caught this addiction you speak of. I'm already looking for a cute beginner arboreal even though I just got my G. pulchripes.. it catches so fast!!

Megan Wright

3 Year Member
Welcome to the hobby and the forum! I bet you'll have more spiders before you know it!
I'd bet money that you're right! Haha, I have already started looking for another to add to my collection. Because honestly, who has just one? I need at least one terrestrial and one arboreal. And once I have that, I'm sure I'll find another excuse for more x)

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I adore both of mine, the G. albopiosum is the most fun to watch of the two. Constantly busy fixing things how it likes them.
And its always hungry ^^ My G. rosea has just a tiny bit of attitude for something so tiny, But it makes me like it that much more.

timc

3 Year Member
If you're looking for a good beginner arboreal Avicularia avicularia is a great spider. I love mine and don't plan on ever being without one! Great eaters, fairly easy to care for, wonderful webbers, and did I mention great eaters? They're quick and agile so be prepared to let them do what they do!

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If we're going with Avics, the best one to start with is A.metallica hands down. Probably the most calm Avic I've ever kept, and they also get larger than most Avics.

Megan Wright

3 Year Member
I adore both of mine, the G. albopiosum is the most fun to watch of the two. Constantly busy fixing things how it likes them.
And its always hungry ^^ My G. rosea has just a tiny bit of attitude for something so tiny, But it makes me like it that much more.
Currently my girl is pretty sedentary but she at least hangs out on top of her hide so I can see her when I want to:) but the temptation to buy a more active spider is super real. I'm also trying to tell myself that I need to give her a little more time to get comfy in her home before I expect her to start renovating, I've only had her 2 weeks at this point (but it feels like so much longer!!)

Megan Wright

3 Year Member
If you're looking for a good beginner arboreal Avicularia avicularia is a great spider. I love mine and don't plan on ever being without one! Great eaters, fairly easy to care for, wonderful webbers, and did I mention great eaters? They're quick and agile so be prepared to let them do what they do!
I was going to buy an A. versicolor before I found my G. pulchripes, but I changed my mind because the Avic was way too expensive for what it was (barely 1/2", unsexed, they wanted $60). The one I got was healthier, confirmed female, and to me that was a better deal. However, Avics are actually the tarantulas that sparked my interest in T's as a child (besides my lifelong love for the spiders I found outside). I was amazed that something could be that colorful naturally! So then I started researching and getting my hopes up, and then (because I was still a child in my parents home) my mom nixed that idea super fast ): But now that I'm on my own, it's tarantula time!

Megan Wright

3 Year Member
If we're going with Avics, the best one to start with is A.metallica hands down. Probably the most calm Avic I've ever kept, and they also get larger than most Avics.
I've always wanted one (they sparked my interest in T's who knows how long ago) and the fact that there is one that I could get right now (https://jamiestarantulas.com/avicularia-metallica-metallic-pink-toe-5-6-female-513/) to add to my collection is super, super tempting. I don't know if my boyfriend would appreciate another spider- he was already skeptical of the first- but I also don't know if I can help myself!

timc

3 Year Member
I find the whole genus pretty charming lol. Honestly I kinda want them all! I don't think anyone can go wrong with just about any of them!

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I find the whole genus pretty charming lol. Honestly I kinda want them all! I don't think anyone can go wrong with just about any of them!
I love em. I suggested metallica because they're docile. The ones to avoid as a beginner are mainly laeta and diversipes IMO.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I love em. I suggested metallica because they're docile. The ones to avoid as a beginner are mainly laeta and diversipes IMO.

So glad you said that, now I know which one to get first when I get the arboreals ^^

(other then my huge want of Thrixopelma ockerti)

Last edited:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome to the forum Megan! Might I suggest you look into my own newest obsession, dwarf tarantulas. My profile pic is a Cyriocosmus ritae. If you want cute, these are cute. Check out
This spider is cuteness personified.

Latest posts