• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello to all from a newbie.

tekanhunter

3 Year Member
I am new to the hobby, the boys and I have caught a Texas Brown by our home. It is a male, as were the others. We are wanting to learn all we can, and hopefully find a good docile female T that will live a long and enjoy full life with us.
Main question is... we are moving to the Denver area early next year, will the elevation/ dry air affect our future pet/'s?

khatchet

3 Year Member
Keep the tank or room humid. I do this with a humiderfer. And the elevation should not cause a prob. I would suggest geting a captive breed tarantula tho. If you do it that way you can also give a bit more money and get one you know is female.

tekanhunter

3 Year Member
Thanks khatchet... any suggestions on a T that can be handled relatively easily, without worries of getting bit? Seeing some that look great, but say they are aggressive. Not many say they are docile.

Okay, in reading ALOT of post's, am seeing Rosie's are a good candidate... any others that are in the same category?

Last edited:

khatchet

3 Year Member
Pink toe are docile but can be a bit jumpy. I will not hold a tarantula unless they act as i am a tree and dont seem to mind. I am that same way with them all. Also red knee i have never had but I have never seen a mean one. Tarantula do have bad day and good day tho. If it doesnt seem to want to be handeled that day then it is best left alone. Also befor handeling let it get a few meals in and make its self at home. Some people will tyell you rose hair are nice and calm as some are but for the most part of what i have seen they are meaner then the 2 i listed up top.

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome!

Most any Brachypelma or Grammostola would work for a beginner, though I would stay away from G. rosea/porteri. They can be a bit mercurial.

Sabeth

3 Year Member
Rosies are generally docile but some can have bad attitudes...my female loves to make herself look big and scary when I touch her but she has never so much as tried to bite. It's different with different Rosies. My Redknee is quite gentle, although I always test her with an object (like a crochet hook) other than my hand since she has mood swings sometimes. She doesn't kick hairs, but will sometimes lunge quite violently at me (probably mistaking my hook for food).

Other tarantulas known for their docile nature include the Brazilian Black, Chaco Goldenknee, Pink Zebra Beauty and Mexican Redleg, among others.

tekanhunter

3 Year Member
Thank you guys, now... how about some good dealers, found one in St.Louis area but not selling because of a move. I assume humidifiers and stuff like that can be purchased from local pet stores.

tekanhunter

3 Year Member
The Chaco Golden knees are beautiful, and big... kinda narrowed it down between her and the Mexican Red Knee... now... dealers in the Midwest? Haven't even looked in a pet store yet, I have Pet Co's over an hour from me in two directions.

tekanhunter

3 Year Member
Thanks khatchet, and Kenny, does distance matter as far as shipping? I'll need to research the rearing sling section, except no guarantee on a female then right? I am full of Q's huh.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
distance doesn't matter as long as you stay within the country. (otherwise, it's very illegal) You can buy a guaranteed female Chaco. It should cost you anywhere from $40-$120 depending on size whereas a sling will cost $5-$15

tekanhunter

3 Year Member
Ok, Boo has passed, we knew he would. Now to concentrate on the new ones. I have decided on a Giant White Knee, my oldest son want's a Brazilian Salmon Pink, and my youngest son wants a Chaco Golden Knee, all females.

Last edited:

novakdesigns

3 Year Member
Ive had several diff types of Ts and my rosies and pink toes got handled alot, as I took them around local schools to educate kids etc. im not saying its ok to handle everyday, but if you know you def will need to handle your T then id def suggest a rosie. I bought a female adult mexican red knee last yr, and although I hear they are normally very docile, the previous owner of mine warned me that this one was a hair kicker so I've not picked her up or hand her on my hand.

Latest posts