• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello newbie keeper

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello and welcome. :) Nice collection and good to see someone else going for the dwarf Ts.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome to our family! :) We hope you enjoy your stay! C. versicolor require a somewhat humid environment but you must have plenty of cross ventilation to prevent stagnant air and mold. Keep your substrate slightly damp (not soaked) and provide a reservoir. Other than that, they are fairly hardy arboreals. :)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
U have convinced me lol will have to add it to my shopping basket
Welcome to the family.....I am based in the UK and have about 20 C versi slings available (plus a new sac) so feel free to message me when ready and if you need any more info on care needs.

Check out my reviews on here for peace of mind. :)

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
C. versicolor require a somewhat humid environment but you must have plenty of cross ventilation to prevent stagnant air and mold. Keep your substrate slightly damp (not soaked) and provide a reservoir. Other than that, they are fairly hardy arboreals. :)

Not to come off as a correction, I would not keep C. versi in a humid environment, but like Casey said, cross ventilation and slightly higher than relative humidity can be accomplished by simply my over flowing the water dish once every week or so - the more substrate you have the more moisture it will hold for longer. This, combined with good cross ventilation, will create ample humidity for an avicularia sp.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Not to come off as a correction, I would not keep C. versi in a humid environment, but like Casey said, cross ventilation and slightly higher than relative humidity can be accomplished by simply my over flowing the water dish once every week or so - the more substrate you have the more moisture it will hold for longer. This, combined with good cross ventilation, will create ample humidity for an avicularia sp.

A humid environment (I have found from personal experience) is essential for Caribena and Avicularia species due to issues in molting. Tarantulas do have a layer of moisture that builds up between their old exoskeleton and new exoskeleton that helps during the removal of the old exoskeleton during a molt, however, if the environment is dry for these species, I have found that it will cause that fluid between exoskeletons to dry up fairly quickly, resulting in molting issues.

Latest posts