• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello! New to the forum ^^

Agno

3 Year Member
Hi everyone!
I just signed up a few minutes ago cos I was worried about my Avic but it turned out to be nothing to worry about!
I'm new to tarantulas. I got my first tarantula, an Avicularia Versicolor a few months ago. She is doing pretty well so far (i'm not sure if she is a she to be honest, but i like to refer to her as such). I'm keeping her in a plastic transparent container. She has molted 5 or 6 times in total. I've fed her flies, moths and small grasshoppers so far. Now that winter is here, I've purchased house fly larvaes and I'm pupating and hatching them to use as food. I will occasionally catch something in the wild for her. I have never handled her so far. It has proven to be tricky to take her out of her web house. I've read a lot about this and many suggest that they are not to be handled but... I guess everyone wishes that at one point. That's pretty much all about me and my Avic so far!
Good to be in the forum!

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi there, welcome, :)
you'll find the folks here helpful and friendly,

Fair warning however, there's some sort of contagion traveling throughout the forums that makes you want more and more T's....;)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi there, welcome, :)
you'll find the folks here helpful and friendly,

Fair warning however, there's some sort of contagion traveling throughout the forums that makes you want more and more T's....;)
There is! And it's a fast acting illness.

Welcome Agno!

I'd be careful on what you feed it when 'catching in the wild'. Remember anything that the bug eats the spider will ingest. Not sure where you're from but i'd never feed mine the grasshoppers and locusts around here with all the farm fields and their pesticides and fertilizers.

my suggestions is to check your local pet store (lps) and see if they have feeder crickets or worms or roaches. Your T will eat the same feeder insects they sell for lizards. I'm not sure on the size of the A. Avic after 5 or 6 molts but i'd think flies would be too small. I'd go with small/medium crickets or small roaches, much better nutrition from roaches and crickets than flies. Someone with A. Avic experience please correct me if this is wrong. :)

Good luck with your T! We'd love to see some pictures :)