• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello! Happy to be a new member... have questions

emilyghetto

3 Year Member
Hi Everyone. Four days ago I took my nephew to the local reptile show. At the show there was a gumball machine with a sign that said "get a gumball with a star and win a tarantula sling". He asked if he could try (I thought a tarantula sling was some sort of cage décor) and of course he won a baby chaco golden knee. The tarantula will be living at my house as my sister doesn't want it at hers LOL. I purchased the recommended enclosure and one a size larger for upgrading. He has eaten one pin head cricket as of yesterday. So now the questions...
1. How often should I feed it?
2. One of the care sheets suggested a shallow dish for water. The enclosure is so small and I'm not sure I could find something that he couldn't drown in. Is this necessary for baby's?
3. What size enclosure is recommended?
Any other suggestions are appreciated, Thanks! I think I might have found a new addiction!

BigTGirl93

3 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the addiction! HAHA :D Chacos are great T's I have one as well. Since he has eaten one cricket yesterday I would give it a day or two to give him more. Slings normally eat 1-2 crickets a week, but every T is different my Chaco sling chows down on crickets but my LP Bird-eater hardly eats. Now what I do is drop prey into their enclosure and leave it in there for a couple hours, they are young and not all T's or slings will eat prey right away, but still offer it anyway, you can even pre-kill crickets to help them learn how to take down prey easier. If you check on them and they dont eat, remove the cricket and try again any other day. You have to get on a regular feeding schedule just so you and your sling will get used to eachother. If he/she refuses food dont panic, he/she will eat when its hungry.

As far as enclosure goes you dont want anything that is too big or too small, the way I heard to know if the enclosure is right for your T is that it should be 2-3x bigger than your slings leg span. If you have a pic of your sling that will really help me get an idea of how big or small this little guy is. Mine isn't even an inch so I have him in a Tupperware container with holes drilled in for ventilation. He is perfectly happy and content. You will need about 2-3 inches of substrate because these T's like to burrow, they are terrestrial T's which mean they are ground spiders, they don't really spin a big web they just lay silk down near their borrow. This is used to catch prey. You should always provide a small hide or retreat for your sling to feel safe in, like a small hollow log.

For a water dish this will all depend on how big the sling is, if it isnt an inch I would not put a dish in because the risk of your sling drowning. What I had to do until my sling molted and got bigger is just lightly mist the substrate and sides of tank to create water droplets, your sling will be able to stay hydrated from the droplets of water. I do this once every other day for my slings. Also the place you decide to keep your T should be about 70-80 degrees. Room temperature is fine for T's, many spiders can adapt to different climates so not heat pad or pack is necessary.

I really hope this helps I know it is a lot of information, and if you have any other questions just ask! :D

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi Emily! Welcome. It sounds like BTG has covered most of the basics. Feel free to ask any specific questions! You might want to look into the "Tarantula Keepers's Guide" by Schultz, aka The Bible around here.

As a note, what kind of substrate are you using?

emilyghetto

3 Year Member
Thanks BTG for the info it was definitely helpful. For DB I am using coconut shell mulch, it came in the enclosure I bought but it looks like the same stuff I use in my reptile cages. He/she came with a gel water (like the kind for crickets) how do you guys feel about that as a water source? Does he need calcium? I ordered the book by Shultz so hopefully it arrives soon.

emilyghetto

3 Year Member
Thanks BTG for the info it was definitely helpful. For DB I am using coconut shell mulch, it came in the enclosure I bought but it looks like the same stuff I use in my reptile cages. He/she came with a gel water (like the kind for crickets) how do you guys feel about that as a water source? Does he need calcium? I ordered the book by Shultz so hopefully it arrives soon.
P.S. I'll try to get pics soon.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome to the forum I wish I could win a sling :) Chacos are lovely. Good luck with your new pet.

BigTGirl93

3 Year Member
Calicum is auctually not good for T's. And the water gel you don't need at all, I used that for my first T and he hated in, a shallow water dish with water in it is perfectly fine. I see my T's halfway in their water dish and they crawl right out, so you don't need the gel. :) And your welcome!!

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Looks like everything has pretty much been covered here. Except, maybe the fact that whoever ran that contest should be ashamed of themselves. Congrats on the new Chaco! I'm sure you'll want more in no time. and wttb

emilyghetto

3 Year Member
Looks like everything has pretty much been covered here. Except, maybe the fact that whoever ran that contest should be ashamed of themselves. Congrats on the new Chaco! I'm sure you'll want more in no time. and wttb
You weren't kidding I'm up to five already! Why did it take so long to discover this great hobby? I don't post often (or ever, let's be real) But I love reading and learning here so again thanks!