• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello Everybuggy!

bugnut

3 Year Member
Anyone else read "Cricket" magazine as a kid? :)

Just joined the forum and thought I'd say 'Howdy', so.... Howdy!

About 6 yrs ago I started out collecting just a couple creepy-crawlies to assist in teaching youth and adults (and myself) about critters that might be encountered while out camping. My collection has since grown along with my obsession! I have many different inverts and reptiles, most of them indigenous to Texas/US (I live in Austin), but some exotics.

Since this forum is mostly about T's, I'll list mine: A.anax, A.chalcodes, A.hentzi, H.maculata

I'm also interested in the North American widow species. Have raised hundreds from hatchlings, but was not successful getting any of them to breed. At one time I had all five species, but my L.bishopi and L.geometricus have died out. :(

Looking forward to discussions!

Last edited:

Jesse254

3 Year Member
Another fellow Texan...WELCOME I am in Temple and come to Austin frequently. Have you been to Zookeepers pet store? They have alot of t's and very knowledgeable staff.

bugnut

3 Year Member
Another fellow Texan...WELCOME I am in Temple and come to Austin frequently. Have you been to Zookeepers pet store? They have alot of t's and very knowledgeable staff.

Howdy y'all! God Bless Texas! :D Yep. I'm at Zookeepers often. When they have widows on display, David usually gives me the egg sacs. They also once borrowed my holconia immanis to stud for them. :D

tcrave

3 Year Member
Hello and welcome.:) I used to have widows in my collection till i had kids then i had to give them up for awhile. the L. bishopi's are beautiful i had five from a trade few years back. love the coloring on them. there are many black widows during the warm months here where i live

bugnut

3 Year Member
Hello and welcome.:) I used to have widows in my collection till i had kids then i had to give them up for awhile. the L. bishopi's are beautiful i had five from a trade few years back. love the coloring on them. there are many black widows during the warm months here where i live

I hear ya. If my kids were younger, I wouldn't have half the collection I do. ;) I got my first L.bishopi 3 yrs ago -- so beautiful! It dropped a few egg sacs, but only one of them was viable :( I was surprised at how much bigger the hatchlings were than the other species! I traded most of the slings to KenTheBugGuy, and kept a few for myself. But they never mated and they died out last year. I'm taking a trip to Florida next year, hopefully I'll find some more; I rarely see them for sale online.

tcrave

3 Year Member
I hear ya. If my kids were younger, I wouldn't have half the collection I do. ;) I got my first L.bishopi 3 yrs ago -- so beautiful! It dropped a few egg sacs, but only one of them was viable :( I was surprised at how much bigger the hatchlings were than the other species! I traded most of the slings to KenTheBugGuy, and kept a few for myself. But they never mated and they died out last year. I'm taking a trip to Florida next year, hopefully I'll find some more; I rarely see them for sale online.

I heard they are kinda hard to breed in captivity. the five that i got was back in 2007 they were tiny when they arrived but grew fast. good luck in finding some. i know they are found easily in the morning just before dawn

Jesse254

3 Year Member
Howdy y'all! God Bless Texas! :D Yep. I'm at Zookeepers often. When they have widows on display, David usually gives me the egg sacs. They also once borrowed my holconia immanis to stud for them. :D

Dave is awesome. He sold me my first T's when I sold him some baby hedgehogs and it has grown from that . Are you going to Repticon in Dallas next weekend? I think I am going to run up there for a couple of hours just to see what they have. A local T breeder "Stamps Tarantulas" will be there.

bugnut

3 Year Member
Dave is awesome. He sold me my first T's when I sold him some baby hedgehogs and it has grown from that . Are you going to Repticon in Dallas next weekend? I think I am going to run up there for a couple of hours just to see what they have. A local T breeder "Stamps Tarantulas" will be there.

Nope. I would like to go to other expos, but it's difficult for me to get away. I was at the one in Round Rock a couple months ago. Spent too much money there. :D

Latest posts