• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello(again) just a few question...

Purge252

3 Year Member
Sorry for so many question the internet is just not clear.. do my 2inch grammostola pulchripes need a very deep enclosure to borrow in??? and do i need a high humidity for my T's i just don't want my little darling being uncomfortable in anyway...:(

BossRoss

3 Year Member
Some Ts do like to burrow and they will tend to hide out if they fell threatened or if they feel cold and for numerous other reasons. A very deep enclosure is somewhat ambiguous... I have about 1.5 inches of substrate for my T and for the moment it is more than deep enough for her to burrow and be completely underground.

I assume the bigger the T the more substrate you will need for burrowing... I am fairly new to this hobby so if I am wrong hopefully one of the gurus on this forum can set us straight.

novakdesigns

3 Year Member
Substrate is not only for burrowing, its good to have it quite deep so that if the spider does climb to top of the tank and falls, it wont have too much height to fall from and less chance of rupturing. My ts never burrow

Tongue Flicker

3 Year Member
This has been a topic of debate on many forums. Personally i don't keep mine on a deep substrate but my invert room is pretty much pitch black without lights on so they feel safer and hence does not feel/think the need for burrowing.

For humidity, what you could do is put your container on top or inside a much wider/bigger container and the gap between them filled with a little water. This raises humidity around your enclosure and at the same time keeps ants out

Sabeth

3 Year Member
G. pulchripes is terrestrial so technically they don't need deep sub. That said, some will want to burrow anyway. My A. geniculata has a tendency to do that even though he's not a burrower by species. But he's about the same size as your baby so maybe it's just a sling thing. A layer of sub about 2 inches is good and will allow a baby to burrow. You could add more if you wanted to but it's really not necessary.

When my genic was smaller what I did was take a shipping vial and sink it into the substrate at an angle, and he used it. Now he's gotten bigger so I put a piece of cork bark down on the sub, dug out a little pocket underneath for him to start on, and since then he has kicked out some more sub and made a nice little hole to hide in.

At 2 inches and above slings no longer require the high humidity they used to, so if you've been using damp substrate you can let it dry out now. From here on out the humidity from the water dish should be adequate. Moisture will also be obtained from food. During premolt, up until the molt, it's a good idea to mist the tank and the tarantula lightly once a day.

Latest posts