• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Heavy Webbers

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I was wondering which arboreal species are the heaviest webbers? Any input?

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Most Avicularia can be heavy webbers depending on how they are housed. I think A.versicolor and A.purpurea tend to be the heaviest webbing out of them all. Psalmopoeus are up there as well, same with Iridopelma. It really depends on what exactly counts as heavy webbing to you I suppose. Pokies are probably among the least webby arboreals, and are usually out in the open, hence why they're often considered one of the few OWs that make good display species. I've noticed that younger ones will sometimes web fairly heavily, but as they get larger they spin less and less. Same goes for H.maculata, although adults still tend to web a bit more than pokies, however it's usually just in one corner, they don't go crazy with it like some other baboons do.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
agree with @Chubbs on the A. versicolor. Ours has a good web going in his enclosure. That's the only arboreal i have any experience with ;) He's not quite as heavy webbing yet as our GBB, but then again he's only been here a few weeks.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
good to know guys thanks! i am think about another arboreal but i want to get one that has some size to it and webs a lot.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
good to know guys thanks! i am think about another arboreal but i want to get one that has some size to it and webs a lot.
Try looking for
Avicularia braunshauseni or Avicularia sp. "amazonica". They're not really all that common, (although not super rare either) so you may not have the easiest time finding some, and you're definitely gonna have to buy them as slings if you don't want to end up spending a decent bit of money for a juvie/adult. These are widely considered as being the two largest Avicularia species out there. As for how large they actually get, the size estimates are all over the place. Some people say they can reach up to 9 inches (which to be honest I find a bit far fetched), but these are probably the same people who claim that LPs get this big, when those in reality rarely exceed 7 1/2 inches. I would say that these two Avics probably max out at around 7+ inches for females. I wouldn't be all that surprised if some specimens got larger on occasion. I have only kept amazonica but mine have always been heavy webbers, but again I think much of that has to do with the set-ups I keep them in.

Latest posts