• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Heating help for Wisconsin owner?

Terrariumerrific

3 Year Member
Hello all, last week I acquired my first tarantula, an avicularia avicularia, about an inch and a half long from the front to the back toes. I've read a few comments here today about how heating lamps and moist substrates are not best for the genus.

My worry is that I essentially live in the lower tundra of North America :confused: where it is frequently below freezing and extremely dry (nosebleed inducing, in fact) even this time of the year the temp outside is 43-55 degrees. When I turn off the 35 watt lamp it drops from a comfortable 80 degrees inside the tank to 65ish and the humidity falls below the 60% point unless I soak the sea sponge on the bottom by the water dish. Also the tarantula hasn't appeared to drink anything this week except water off the glass?

Are there experienced pink toe owners who can give me some advice, reccomendations, general knowledge?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Heating the room is the best option...70 degrees is plenty for avics. As for humidity in the air I leave a 5 gallon bucket of water in my T room to slowly evaporate. Moist wet substrate and a heat lamp will kill your avic. Make sure you have tons of ventilation.

castor

The aim is to keep a high humidity (70-80%) in the air without mold in the enclosure and temperature close to 70-75 F degrees. Good ventilation enclosure is recommanded.
For me, no matter how you get it:
-Get a room with this temperature and put water gallon in this to get humidity as arachnoclown says.
-use heat mat and moist substrat but an acid one to avoid molt
-buy small water atomizer for reptile.
-put a water recipient with a net close to the heating source in the enclosure.

I only have couple of years with tarentulas, i think there are many others ways. Maybe i'm wrong somewhere, wait for others replying

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The worst thing for Avics is high humidity. Dry sub and a full water bowl are all that is necessary along with good cross ventilation.
You must remember that in the wild they live high up in the trees where there is a breeze to blow the humidity away.

Latest posts