• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Having a happy and healthy critter

superpetguy1

3 Year Member
There are many things you need for a happy critter. But none of them allow any money. The way to make them happy is good habits listed here and not that toy you saw at petsmart.
1. Play with him often.
Edit: playing is an option but watch out for any terantula breeds' venom should not be overlooked.
It depends on the breed, let them settle in for about 5 days first then pick them up. Only do this if you have a docile breed like G rosia. But that Goliath bird eating spider i wouldn't mess with. Only do this with garden gloves and long sleeves.
2. Stress avoiding
There are whole articles on this.
http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/Stress.html#comments
Is a great resource for stress causes.
3.forcing
Never force your critter to burrow, get out of a hiding spot, or eat.
4. Peace
Dont put your tank in the middle of action or direct sunlight. Sunlight is not healthy and action will stress them.
5. Know your critter
Look for patterns such as: if its mad it's hair goes up. So you know how he is feeling.

That's it and hope this helps. I really recomend you check that link as it is very helpful

Last edited:

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There are many things you need for a happy critter. But none of them allow any money. The way to make them happy is good habits listed here and not that toy you saw at petsmart.
1. Play with him often.
It depends on the breed, let them settle in for about 5 days first then pick them up. Only do this if you have a docile breed like G rosia. But that Goliath bird eating spider i wouldn't mess with. Only do this with garden gloves and long sleeves.
2. Stress avoiding
There are whole articles on this.
http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/Stress.html#comments
Is a great resource for stress causes.
3.forcing
Never force your critter to burrow, get out of a hiding spot, or eat.
4. Peace
Dont put your tank in the middle of action or direct sunlight. Sunlight is not healthy and action will stress them.
5. Know your critter
Look for patterns such as: if its mad it's hair goes up. So you know how he is feeling.

That's it and hope this helps. I really recomend you check that link as it is very helpful
1. Tarantulas do not need to be played with. Actualy, this kind of attention will lead to stress.
2. Good resource
3. Very true
4. Sunlight is not harmful to them. However you must be careful about putting an enclosure in direct sunlight, as the tarantula will be unable to evade the heat build up and you could end up with a sun dried tarantula.
5. Yes, you should be aware of your tarantulas behavior patterns. No, they do not get mad, nor do their "hairs"stand on end to indicate anything; they are always "standing up". A tarantula may become defensive if it feels threatened, and this can be observed through body posturing, a threat pose, or simply running away.

Bones Wiggill

3 Year Member
Ok so in short, place in vivarium, feed often and leave it alone? ....... Bummer, could have bought a picture of a T then and saved the cost on crickets. Surely letting it walk on your hands etc can't be that stressfull? As long as you do not make threatening or fast moves, I think it should be ok. The T's are born and raised in captivity so it's used to having people around it. I would think a "wild" (for lack of a better word) T would be fully stressed out being "man handled" every once in a while. Sorry but also think handling your T to keep it used to you is a better idea. Hotsnakes needs to be handled at least 3 times a week to get used to your smell and would think T's should be similar. ....just my two cents on the subject....

Tongue Flicker

3 Year Member
I only interact with my Ts when i see them move around the enclosure for more than 15 minutes. I simply remove the cover and they let themselves out, walking slowly towards my hands. After 10 seconds i direct them back in as if nothing happened. It's my form of free-range handling. No forcing and their own free will. This usually happens during summer time here. Must be the heat is makin them active.

I can say my Ts are never stressed. They never kick and does not have bald spots. Feeding usually happens once or twice a month.

My T enclosures are in full indirect sunlight the whole day. They have been for the past 6 years. I doubt they'll last that long and grow into adults if they're stressed by that.

As for knowing my kritters, i know better to just leave them alone. I'm already suffering from allergic rhinitis even though my Ts are just there, doing nothing.. I'm more stressed out than any of my pets are when i'm sneezing lol

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ok so in short, place in vivarium, feed often and leave it alone?
Yup.
Handling is a personal choice. I was merely trying to clarify the OPs "advice". Tarantulas do not need, nor want to be "played with". I will admit, when the opportunity arises, I have handled a few of mine. I don't not go into an enclosure and roust a tarantula just so I can hold it. I do something more along the lines of Tongue Flicker.

Bones Wiggill

3 Year Member
I don't mean hunting the critter to a corner and forcing it to be handled. If you want to handle a hotsnake, you need the right time, oppertunity and position. Hahah. Just saying that if you cannot "play" with your T, then why have it? Nothing like have a arachnophobe friend over and taking it out for show and tell. Critters relaxed mode worth a bit, but the expresion and screams on your friends side is priceless.

Lawrence b

3 Year Member
I think handlings is personal choice why wouldnt you have a T if you couldnt handle it . I have Dartfrogs ,treefrogs and dont or hardly ever need to handle them. A nice viv that looks natural is nice even if the inhabitants hide away most of the time. But I do handle some of my Ts from time to time, keeps my arachnophobia what I use to suffer from in check .

Last edited:

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantulas are like fish, an observational animal.
Again, I have to admit the compulsion to handle them is great and on occasion I have handled some of mine. This is always on their terms. I open the enclosure and if they choose to walk out I will take the opportunity. I do not go into their enclosures with the express purpose of pulling them out to handle.
As long as you are knowledgeable and prepared for any eventuality, handling can be done safely.

Bones Wiggill

3 Year Member
Schoolman, that is a different subject on it's own. I must agree that if you do not know how to handle then best leave them. Every time you handle you are subjecting yourself to a possible bite or rash. So there I agree, if you don't know then don't touch. If you handle your critter from sling stage, then it will be accustomed to being handled. Also the reason why I never bought a adult hotsnake and prefered raising them from young to adult so that IT can get to know me and I can get to know it. If you handle it from slingh age you wil know when it is ready to be handled, when it wants to bite, when it is ready for molt etc. And also vice versa, the T will know that you do not pose a threat. So I think we have two different topics runnning here. Would actually be great to see who prefers adult to sling T's and what are their reasons.

Latest posts