• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hatian wants to roam (handling)

Spidro

3 Year Member
Alright guys, I know theres a lot of u on here that are pretty against handling Ts for the danger to them in it. However, my phormictopus cancerides (believe thats the right spelling lol) Ive had him for maybe 4-5 months now and he just wants out of his tank bad at times. I swear he sits and waits at the door for me to let him out after not finding his own way out. He's quite a gentle fella even though the species says otherwise. Im not so much worried about the biting, I can get over that. More or less worried about him getting away and hiding to never be seen again. Anybody ever have a T dissapear on them? Wondering what some of ur handling tips may be? My first experience with this guy he went from my hand to my neck in the blink of an eye and hes a big fella, caught me off guard the first time ive ever held one lol. Just looking for some of your stories and suggestions. Thanks in advance! \m/

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello
With specimens like those,I use enclosures that have lockable lids. Since in my opinion any T that escapes to who knows where,is an environmental issue. If 1 loses a T,no huge issue ? The problem is,one becomes two multiplied by the amount of people in the hobby. As for handling,I have handled T's would I encourage or suggest it for someone else ? No,since not everyone reacts the same. They could be dropped etc,and not only that handler gets bitten. Especially younger people this is an issue,since their parents would blame the hobby or specimen. Thus creating more bridges for this hobby to cross,and longer time and more resources to change perception. If I do get into such a situation, I usually try another route like paint brush catch cup etc. Lastly I will employ myself and get the enclosure closer,the biggest thing stay calm even if it's readying to bite since this is where mishaps occur. BIGGEST RULE STAY CALM !

Spidro

3 Year Member
Thanks for shedding your point of view on this martin, well put in many aspects. He does have a lockable enclosure I just know he wants out lol. I dont think its an environment issue, at least I hope not, just when hes active thats what he's doing trying to play breakout. What exactly do u mean by the paint brush catch cup? And yes I have read to remain calm entirely, even during a biting process which can last a few seconds I am prepared for that. Im just more worried of him getting away, holding up shop somehere and the chance of my dog finding him and being bit. She is a 60 pound dog, but id imagine a t could do serious damage to an animal. I just know how fast these guys can move, do they more scurry in short bursts or could they full on run away? Thanks again for the input!

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The following with a brief description
- Catch cup,any container with a lid used to catch the specimen. Without a lid,pretty useless haha.
- Paint brush,preferably a long one soft bristles. This enables you to direct the specimen, soft bristles will not harm it.
These are just some stuff I use,I use other things as well like using friendly confined area say a bathroom. T can't escape,or hide under or behind an object.

LeahThomas

3 Year Member
I've personally never lost a T, but I've read that some people seal entrances to the room by closing all windows, shoving wadded clothing under the door, etc.... Some people also leave a water dish out for their escaped T. Eventually they get dehydrated and will come to the dish (that's the theory anyway).

As for your dog, I would just prevent her from entering the room that the T escaped in.

Spidro

3 Year Member
Great suggestions! I think the confined room idea is great, makes sense that youd want to prepare just in case. Love the waterdish idea, even if it is just in theory. Thanks guys, feeling a lot more comfortable with the idea now. Will let yas know how progress goes once I get over this damn flu... also if anyone could answer my previous question; do they scurry in short burts or would they try to full on run away? Just want to be as prepared as possible, hate to lose him or have him hurt is the reason for the questions. Thanks again, cheers!

Sabeth

3 Year Member
My only experience losing a T didn't have a happy ending. Several months ago my first A. geniculata sling escaped through one of its ventilation holes and I never found it. :( Leah's suggestions are excellent.

Your docile P. cancerides sounds like a rare individual! Though all species have their "norms", every so often you come across one that doesn't live up to its reputation. As long as your T is okay with handling, my opinion is, it's okay to handle. Tarantulas are unusual in that their personalities can and do change, sometimes on a day-to-day basis, sometimes with every molt. I would say, run it by your tarantula and get his opinion first. :)