• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hatian Brown (Phormictopus Cancerides) strange behaviour lately

Spidro

3 Year Member
Hey guys, new to these forums, brand new tarantula owner as of 2.5 months ago. I'll be honest I bought myself a Hatian Brown on a whim but I am loving it. When I first got him he was pretty still in his tank for the most part. As he got more comfortable he spent days climbing around the walls of the tank and webbing the ground. After about 2 months I cleaned his tanks, as it is a 12x12x12 exo-terra, and I had some more suitable decorations for him. Based on what everyone says about this species he's really friendly, and I find i can go near him without him displaying threat, even sometimes pick him up. He was fine for about a week or two, eating normally (1 cricket every 3 days.) I then proceeded to feed him a pinky mouse after 4 days of not eating, as the pet shop I got him from had done b4. He attacked it, but never ate it. Was alive in there a day, took over his hide and he was huddled in a corner. So I took the mouse out. It has been about 9 days since then and he hasn't eaten a single cricket, also have seen no further climbing from him in this time. As he is in this state I figure it best not to disturb him or handle him at this time just wondering what hes up to. Curious if he's ready for a molt? Any other Phormictopus Cancerides owners on here got any tips or background knowledge of these guys? Posting a pic of him, looking forward to meeting some other owners. Cheers guys! \m/

edit: I haven't officially measured him but if I could hazard a guess I'd say between 5-7 inches legspan.
fang.jpg

Charmyknux

3 Year Member
I have a sub adult female. She goes off her food sometimes for a month or so before molesting. I tried to feed her a pinky mouse once and after that she wouldn't eat for a while, so yours may just be being cautious after the intrusion.

Charmyknux

3 Year Member
I have a sub adult female. She goes off her food sometimes for a month or so before molesting. I tried to feed her a pinky mouse once and after that she wouldn't eat for a while, so yours may just be being cautious after the intrusion.
I'm so sorry! My auto correct did that!
That was supposed to say molting!
Sorry everyone! :*

Spidro

3 Year Member
Well I think im going to plan on keeping my T in its enclosure if this species is prone to that behaviour Charmyknux hahaha. Thanks for the reply, I believe thats the case too, just been stressed out and now he/shes just acting funny. Forced a cricket in front of her witg some tweezers and she ate. I think all is well :)

Charmyknux

3 Year Member
Well I think im going to plan on keeping my T in its enclosure if this species is prone to that behaviour Charmyknux hahaha. Thanks for the reply, I believe thats the case too, just been stressed out and now he/shes just acting funny. Forced a cricket in front of her witg some tweezers and she ate. I think all is well :)
Glad everything is ok :)
My auto correct sucks.

Spidro

3 Year Member
Thanks guys, plan on going to a big reptile place in a nearby city Friday, inevitably i dont like his cage setup cause it was kind of thrown together, going to get him a much better setup then hopefully. And will also try the super worms. Will keep yas posted. Cheers!

Latest posts