• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Harpactira pulchripes - am I ready?

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There could be a sex ratio other then 50/50. There's a lot we don't know about them.

Pure speculation: Since the females eat the males, you might as a species have too generate more males to balance it out.

Regardless of sex, they're worth every penny. With a small sling, you'll have it for at least 1 year.

T gigas is also one of the quickest Ts in the hobby & arboreal as well. In any case, I'd come up with a plan to deal with and unpack the T once it arrives.

E

ExMember

There could be a sex ratio other then 50/50. There's a lot we don't know about them.

Pure speculation: Since the females eat the males, you might as a species have too generate more males to balance it out.

Regardless of sex, they're worth every penny. With a small sling, you'll have it for at least 1 year.

T gigas is also one of the quickest Ts in the hobby & arboreal as well. In any case, I'd come up with a plan to deal with and unpack the T once it arrives.

I don't know if this works for OWs but what I do is put the old enclosure (shipping container) in the new enclosure and let the spider come out on it's own. Or just move the paper towel into the new enclosure. Worked for everyone except my B auratum Jabba. He is still in his pill jar inside of an 8oz deli container! It's been over a month :(
But he does waddle out now and then for a drink!

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
One year as a 3/4" sling?

Regarding unboxing, I found this video

Wish he had a paintbrush

I'm sure mine will come in a tube wrapped in a damp paper towel. I was thinking of unboxing in the bathtub with the drain covered and door closed.

I'd welcome any input or advice!

Marc Eddison

Thinking about an ornamental, not specifically an old world, but H. pulchripes caught my attention recently.
Care needs don't seem to be too challenging and I have no desire to handle. Have tons of B. lats to feed out.
Wondering about enclosure size, is a 12" cube w/6" sub big enough?
Am I being too logical and missing something in considering an old world as our 6th tarantula?
Why dont you try the M.BALFOURI mate lovely T intact both the ones your thinking about are lovely especially the yellow blue leg baboon ...!! What size were you thinking at starting at ? Sling juvenile or sub/adult adult.

I have all these species and I find my sling 3cm H.Pulchripes loves to bolt and when I mean bolt he/she is like Usain every time I open the enclosure to feed attached is a picture of one of my slings.

Attachments

• 20200306_142738.jpg
    20200306_142738.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 5

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
What size were you thinking at starting at ? Sling juvenile or sub/adult adult.

I would likely start with a 1/2" - 1" sling, depending on what is being offered and cost. A 3/4" sling will cost me around $100 on average, it seems.

M. balfouri has been recommended, too. Tom Moran compared it to H. pulchripes as a calmer first OW, IIRC. Someday I'll pull the trigger on H. pulchripes.

Thanks for your response, and pic!

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Just checked Jamie's, H. pulchripes on sale, $79 for 3/4" sling. Very tempted.