• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

HANDLING TARANTULAS

Stan Schultz

3 Year Member
I'm starting this thread in an effort to foment a discussion on handling tarantulas. No, I've not taken the time to do a global search on the topic. At 80 years old, I can't afford to waste that much time. Even then, I'd do it anyway, just to keep our current state of knowledge and opinions up to date.

The attached photo is of "yours truly" at the October 2023, "Tarantula Night" at Preuss Pets in Lansing, Michigan, on the Sunday afternoon just before Halloween. (There is an intentional time/date disjunct here. Did you catch it?) After you admire the Hawaiian shirt, look carefully at what I'm holding so casually in my left hand. I can't remember what kind it was, but it was probably one of either a curlyhair (Tliltocatl albopilosus), a juvenile Brazilian Salmon (Lasiodora parahybana), or a Chilean rose tarantula (Grammostola rosea). (These tarantulas were graciously loaned to me by Bryan Hidy. Many thanks, Bro!)

How casual can you get? An Hawaiian shirt, dozens and dozens of great friends and guests, and a large, fuzzy spider nestled comfortably, upside down in the palm of your hand!

(And no, this is not a brazen act of self aggrandizement. This is probably the only photo of myself that I've posted on the Internet since the 'Net was created!)

Okay, now let's hear your comments and see your photos about handling tarantulas. Let the games begin!

Attachments

• Stan at Preuss'-332469285-01300.jpg
    Stan at Preuss'-332469285-01300.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 23

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Other than when slings have chosen to run onto me during rehousing I have only ever once intentionally handled a tarantula.
That occasion was a rescue mission as my cat had pulled its tank off the dresser and it smashed, tarantula ran across the floor with cat in pursuit, I pushed cat away with one hand and grabbed the tarantula with the other. All was good, no harm to the tarantula which was soon rehoused and then I sat back and thought about what I'd done, I picked up my Poecilotheria metallica and got away without a bite.

Latest posts