• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Handling my LP

clutchnasty

3 Year Member
Hey guys i really want to pick her up, but I'm just a little nervous because of her massive size :s. Since its bigger than my hands will it think its nom noms and try and eat me . D-: she is around 7 inches.

TJB13

3 Year Member
There are different opinions on handling T's. I've handled my L parahybana. She is around 5.5" so a little smaller than yours. Mine becomes fast running and easily agitated at times. Other times she's calm. I just coax them onto my hand I put flat in front of them. But it's nobody's fault but yours if you get bit. Plus if your nervous it might be a bad idea. She could start running and scare you and fall. I don't suggest it if your not completely calm and confident with her.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Your first and primary concern should be for the safety of her. Any mistake on your part could result in injury or death on her part. If you really want to hold her, you need to put her enclosure on the floor ans sit down next to it. This will minimize the risk of bad fall. Make sure the room you are in has no hiding places she can dart into. Be prepared for anything. Also be prepared to remain perfectly calm and motionless if she bites.
Remember, you are doing this for your satisfaction, she will get nothing from this, other than a little stress.
I do hold some of my Ts on occasion, so I understand your desire.

clutchnasty

3 Year Member
Thank you for your time! She was a bit nervous while in her tank, but when i got her out on a smaller container out in the open, she just voluntarily walked right up my leg. I was a bit nervous because she was a bit heavier than the other ones i handle like the chilean. What i noticed is she is more docile than my Chilean. Idk, but she does kick so much hair. I had to wear a face mask for that reason. Anyway i am so happy that i finally had her on my hands :). I had a good 10 min bonding time with my LP.

Latest posts