• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

handling help?

evie woods

3 Year Member
Okay so I want to know the best way to handle my Chilean Rose for the first time, she seems quite timid ans skitsy and she's almost a year old now, but we only got her yesterday, and has never been handled before. Do you think handling at this stage is a good idea? If so, could you maybe explain the best way to do so? How long should I wait before handling? Thanks for any help :T:

Just1moreT

3 Year Member
I think best way to do it is let them crawl on to you ,I don't like grabbing a hold of them you could hurt them or you might get bit ,you can give a light touch to rear with a brush and if there not wanting to be bothered you k now it and if no turn around they should walk on to your hand.just remember they all can be fast .

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Most people don't handle their spiders very often, if at all, for various valid reasons. Reasons I agree with, but I still handle mine occasionally, usually very briefly. All spiders, of every genus and species, are individuals. I've seen very calm tarantulas have very bad days. Tarantulas can be unpredictable, and they do have mood swings :) Just had to throw that out there ;) I forgot who made them, but I've seen a few decent handling videos on YouTube.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
This is a very touchy subject in this hobby. Handling in my opinion just has too many risks, and pretty much zero benefits for the spider. This species is known for being moody, so just be very careful when doing this with her, and do try to keep it to a minimum. If she shows any signs of aggression, just leave her be. Even if she is tolerant of it now, just remember that this could always change in the future.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Do you think handling at this stage is a good idea?
No. Not good at any stage. You risk harm to the tarantula, and possibly yourself. It is not a matter of if you get bit, but when you get bit. If you handle it is going to happen, eventually. When you do get bit, you must have nerves of steel, and be able remain calm and still. If you jerk or react explosively you are going to injure the animal.
If so, could you maybe explain the best way to do so?
If you must handle the best method would be to place your hand down and nudge the tarantula to walk into it. Use a small paint brush to nudge the T first to check its reaction before putting your hand down in front of it.
How long should I wait before handling?
When ever you and the T are ready.

micheldied

3 Year Member
Handling is pointless to the Ts. They don't gain anything positive from it, and it can pose risks to both the T and owner. You could drop it, expose it to something nasty, or fling it if it bites you.
I have handled my Ts though, although almost exclusively when I'm rehoming them. I'm sure pulling them out of their homes unnecessarily stresses them out.
That being said, I'm not one of those handling-is-the-devil types. It's your pet, and if you minimize the risks in the handling environment, the T will be fine. IMO the best way to handle any Ts is to get them into a container first, and then remove that out of the enclosure, instead of trying to get her onto your hand inside the enclosure. Most Ts calm way down out of their enclosures.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Handling is pointless to the Ts. They don't gain anything positive from it, and it can pose risks to both the T and owner. You could drop it, expose it to something nasty, or fling it if it bites you.
I have handled my Ts though, although almost exclusively when I'm rehoming them. I'm sure pulling them out of their homes unnecessarily stresses them out.
That being said, I'm not one of those handling-is-the-devil types. It's your pet, and if you minimize the risks in the handling environment, the T will be fine. IMO the best way to handle any Ts is to get them into a container first, and then remove that out of the enclosure, instead of trying to get her onto your hand inside the enclosure. Most Ts calm way down out of their enclosures.
Agreed. Although I'm not sure if its being calm or just uncertain outside of their enclosure.. I don't generally handle mine either, but sometimes it happens by accident, and sometimes I just get a wild hair and want to handle one of mine. I've never had any injured spiders, or been bitten, as a result.

micheldied

3 Year Member
Agreed. Although I'm not sure if its being calm or just uncertain outside of their enclosure.. I don't generally handle mine either, but sometimes it happens by accident, and sometimes I just get a wild hair and want to handle one of mine. I've never had any injured spiders, or been bitten, as a result.

I'm sure it's because of the unfamiliar environment they're being thrown into. In my experience, even the most defensive Ts "calm down" when removed from their enclosures.

Annie

3 Year Member
I got my euathlus sp. specifically so I could handle my T, since they're known for their calm and almost friendly personality. They don't like being handled. Really, they don't. I thought I would always be handling mine and i rarely do, save when she crawls out onto my hand to go for some exploration time. I'm definitely no tarantula expert but I do know the best way to pick up your T initially is to let the tarantula come to you. Nobody likes a giant hand ripping off the roof of their home, coming down over top of you and snatching you away. Patience is key. As others have said, you will know if they are in the mood to be handled or not. And I'm one who loves a pet I can play with, but even I will say, I would minimize handling your new spider. Its a risk for them, its scary for them, they gain absolutely nothing from it. If you must handle her, give her a couple days to settle in, then wait for her to let you know she is ready. Keep in mind she may never be ready, be ready to accept this. No two spiders are the same. Regardless of their handle-ability, enjoy your new friend, whether she's shy or super friendly, trust me you are going to love her. ^-^

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Be sure that your T is well fed before doing the attempt and that you are calm and composed.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
also handle on a bed or one the floor. that way there is no chance of it falling and getting hurt.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
also handle on a bed or one the floor. that way there is no chance of it falling and getting hurt.
Good advice. I'd say on a carpet floor to help pad for a fall. Also in an open room so it can run if needed. I wouldn't advise handling on a bed, at least not your own ;) my son has turned my bedroom into the feeding room and will handle his at times then. Drives me crazy! lol

Latest posts