• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Habitat size

Captain Firecat

3 Year Member
Hi all

Currently spider less but thinking of getting a new (first) friend.

I've read a lot online about tank size, substrate, diet, temperature, the whole shebang. But each site has a different idea, so I just wanted to post and make sure I'm on the right lines.

I'm leaning towards a Chilean Rose, though I'd really like a Red Rump, but I can only find Roses so... Rose is fine with me! I'm told they get up to 6 inch and 3 times that is the length of the tank, 2 times the width and 'low' is all you need for height.

So, questions:
1) How high is too high for a terrestrial? I have lots of tanks around the place (I have snakes who outgrew them) which meet the height and width, but are about a foot tall. Too high?
2) How strong is a spider? I found a good tank in a shop, but it was a fish tank and, well, fish don't push the lid off, so the lid was very light. A weight on each corner would fix that, but are we talking grams, tens of grams, hundreds?
3) I saw some Roses in a shop but couldn't decide what age they were (and got all shy...). What age do they hit full grown? I'd like one which was still moulting a few times a year, so don't want a grown up.
4) if I got a lid with no 'hatch', would I have issues? Would Mrs Spider lurk and be off the second the lid was off? I assume if she is on the glass wall you can't knock her (coax her) down, so I suppose I'd have to be extra careful.
5) Any online stores to aim for? Or any to avoid?
6) Should I avoid spiderlings for my first time?

I will have more questions I'm sure! For the moment I'd like to set up and get the spider later, but I want to do it right.

Thanks all!

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello there, and welcome to the boards! If you're looking for a good starter species, you also might want to check out B. albopilosum. Here are some answers to your questions.

1) You want to keep the distance between the top of the enclosure and the substrate short enough so that when the T climbs (and it WILL climb) it won't fall and injure itself. If you used a tank that is a foot deep (I'm assuming that this would be for an adult T), then you will just have to fill it with substrate to the appropriate level. So, if it was a 5" G. porteri, then you will fill it with at least 6" of sub or so. Just keep in mind that if these are 10 gallon tanks, they would be fairly large for some species, and you'll want to make sure that you can secure the tops.

2) Strong, and much stronger than most people think. Back in the 90s, I had an A. semanni lift the lid off of a modified aquarium that didn't have latches. Try to find something that latches or clicks shut. Weights will work, but that leaves the possibility that you forget to put them on one day (like I did), and the T escapes. Many of us use plastic storage containers, like the ones from Sterilite. These come in a number of convenient sizes and can be modified to easy and appropriately house Ts.

3) Tarantulas are impossible to accurately "age" unless you've hatched them yourself or know the person who did. Usually, they are referred to as "slings", "juveniles", "sub-adults", and "adults". What size was the T you saw? If it was in a pet store, it's likely a wild caught specimen. This is a slow growing species, so if it was several inches, it could be many years old. This is also a long-lived species (I got mine as a young wild-caught adult, and I've had her for 19 years).

If you're serious about getting into the hobby, you'll want to check out one of the many reputable online dealers. That's where the majority of us get ours from.

4) Play it safe, and find something with a lid that latches. Why take the chance? If you get an adult/sub-adult "rosie", you can pick up an appropriately-sized Sterilite container for $5 or under.

5) Check out http://www.swiftinverts.com/ , http://www.jamiestarantulas.com/ (she currently has sub-adult female G. roseas), http://www.petcenterusa.net/ , and http://www.kenthebugguy.com/ . All have good reputations. Just keep in mind that if you do go this route, you may have to wait for higher temps before it's safe to ship.

6) That depends. If you get a G. rosea sling, you will be waiting a long time for it to hit its adult size. Slings can be very rewarding, as you get to watch them grow and mature. However, they require a bit more attention to set up and care, as most species are more fragile and susceptible to poor husbandry. If you get a sling, try to get a hardier species that has a bit of size on it already (.75-1" or so).

Bottom line, whatever species you get, do your homework and continue to ask questions on the boards. Although there is a lot of information on line, it's always best to be prudent and check with the folks who are currently in the hobby and keeping Ts.

Last edited:

HungryGhost

3 Year Member
I would skip a pet store grammostola rosea (Rose hair). They are wild caught and you're better spending your money on a captive bred tarantula. It's better for the hobby. Personally I think watching a spiderling grow to maturity is 90% of the joy of owning my T's. That being said a brachyplema vagans (Red rump) is an excellent choice, or any brachypelma for that matter. They make great first T's. If your heart is set on a grammostola genus I would recommend g. pulchripes (Chaco gold knee).

As far as tank size it depends what size T you get. If the height of the tank is too high you can always fill it with more substrate and the problem is solved.

I would research which T you want and what size first and then figure out the habitat.

Welcome to the addiction.:T:

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello
Habitat size,let me start with types of habitats.

Arboreal
- Arboreal specimens like to climb, especially Avicularia(I make my own style enclosures for these)
- Some arboreal specimens while young,will burrow for a while during their natural life span.
- They will in most cases handle height better,than floor space.
- They need things added that they can use to anchor webbing,like fake plants etc.
So to finish this without going too much into it,usually taller enclosure less floor space. Most of all arboreal will display a tendency to burrow while they are small,with the exception of the rule like Avicularia Irodopelma maybe one or two other genera ? So I will give a simple example of an enclosure size I use with 3-4 inch specimens 15cm(W)x15cm(D)x35cm(H) or 6inchx6inchx14inches which is filled with 4-6 inches of substrate.

Terrestrial
- Most terrestrial specimens will stay in a hide
- floor space over height
- not made to climb and fall
- few decorations and an added water bowl
- Some will sometimes break the norm and burrow
Now coming to cage size,obviously using more floor space adding substrate to lessen height if need be. Since they will try and climb and could fall and injure itself. Using a 3-4 inch specimen,I will give another example of cage size 25cm(W)x25cm(D)x25cm(H) 10inchx10inchx10inch adding 6inch substrate. There are many examples that the above apply to,just need to research.

Fossorial
I use the above terrestrial as the same setup for these,they need little head space more digging etc. Specimens like Haplopelma P.muticus,and others will benefit from this setup. If you do buy a fossorial specimen don't try and force it to be terrestrial(just my opinion) All of the above isn't a rule,but just a personal choice and has worked well. Remember,no cage can be truly too big for a tarantula since in nature I have never seen any walls.

Last edited:

Captain Firecat

3 Year Member
Thanks all! I suspect I have made a minor error by not looking where the board is 'located', I'm in the UK so that affects what sites I would buy from, plus I imagine most of our pets shops don't import wild Ts (or do they?).

Regardless, for the most part location is irrelevant so your replies gave been a great help, the Ts will be as escape-y, as fall-y and as spider-y no matter the side of the pond :)

I'll find a good sealing box and look online for a company selling with good reviews.

terror_corpz

3 Year Member
Thanks all! I suspect I have made a minor error by not looking where the board is 'located', I'm in the UK so that affects what sites I would buy from, plus I imagine most of our pets shops don't import wild Ts (or do they?).

Regardless, for the most part location is irrelevant so your replies gave been a great help, the Ts will be as escape-y, as fall-y and as spider-y no matter the side of the pond :)

I'll find a good sealing box and look online for a company selling with good reviews.
Also virginia cheeseman uk

Captain Firecat

3 Year Member
I'll give all those a look :)

I was at a big pet shop today and was looking at the (fish) tanks (the 'exotics' section was all huge vivariums for lizards). They are all so high (what with being for fish) so it got me wondering about arboreals. That said, why did it never occur to me that I could just put more stuff in the bottom to make the height lower... Lol.

I'm going to have a good Google and see what I can get (also what spiders are actually available) and go from there. As I say, I have a few tanks both glass and plastic, and of various sizes. I will see if I can adapt one of those, should be fairly easy, then that's more budget for other things.

Oh, and Martin's comment re no walls in nature, is there not a danger that the food will have such a large roaming area they never end up near the T? Genuine question (in case it's not clear), I sort of imagine the crickets all sitting at one end and the T at the other and never the 2 shall meet. Or would the area gave to be HUGE for that to happen?

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'll give all those a look :)

I was at a big pet shop today and was looking at the (fish) tanks (the 'exotics' section was all huge vivariums for lizards). They are all so high (what with being for fish) so it got me wondering about arboreals. That said, why did it never occur to me that I could just put more stuff in the bottom to make the height lower... Lol.

I'm going to have a good Google and see what I can get (also what spiders are actually available) and go from there. As I say, I have a few tanks both glass and plastic, and of various sizes. I will see if I can adapt one of those, should be fairly easy, then that's more budget for other things.

Oh, and Martin's comment re no walls in nature, is there not a danger that the food will have such a large roaming area they never end up near the T? Genuine question (in case it's not clear), I sort of imagine the crickets all sitting at one end and the T at the other and never the 2 shall meet. Or would the area gave to be HUGE for that to happen?
Hello
Have you actually watched a tarantula hunt ? It is amazing,they are very aware of their surroundings. Also,I do throw the feeders at the hide entrances or close to the specimens. I have seen my tarantulas hunt,so I'm not worried much about it.

If you want to see amazing hunters,might sound like BS but my pokies look like they are running a marathon. Even my large specimens,like 8 inch's or more chase their prey. I would give arboreal the slight upper hand on hunting,but terrestrials aren't far behind.

Captain Firecat

3 Year Member
Hello
Have you actually watched a tarantula hunt ? It is amazing,they are very aware of their surroundings. Also,I do throw the feeders at the hide entrances or close to the specimens. I have seen my tarantulas hunt,so I'm not worried much about it.

If you want to see amazing hunters,might sound like BS but my pokies look like they are running a marathon. Even my large specimens,like 8 inch's or more chase their prey. I would give arboreal the slight upper hand on hunting,but terrestrials aren't far behind.

No, never seen one hunt, hope to soon :)
That's one less worry then!

terror_corpz

3 Year Member
Hello

Yes pokies are proper hunters I purposely put the crickets away from the spider's just to watch them hunt

Morgan94

3 Year Member

Theres a guy on YouTube Jon3800 that has recommended the virginia cheeseman and a few other sites I can't remember them off the top of my head but check out his videos.. I'll post a link for you..

Morgan94

3 Year Member
Hi all

Currently spider less but thinking of getting a new (first) friend.

I've read a lot online about tank size, substrate, diet, temperature, the whole shebang. But each site has a different idea, so I just wanted to post and make sure I'm on the right lines.

I'm leaning towards a Chilean Rose, though I'd really like a Red Rump, but I can only find Roses so... Rose is fine with me! I'm told they get up to 6 inch and 3 times that is the length of the tank, 2 times the width and 'low' is all you need for height.

So, questions:
1) How high is too high for a terrestrial? I have lots of tanks around the place (I have snakes who outgrew them) which meet the height and width, but are about a foot tall. Too high?
2) How strong is a spider? I found a good tank in a shop, but it was a fish tank and, well, fish don't push the lid off, so the lid was very light. A weight on each corner would fix that, but are we talking grams, tens of grams, hundreds?
3) I saw some Roses in a shop but couldn't decide what age they were (and got all shy...). What age do they hit full grown? I'd like one which was still moulting a few times a year, so don't want a grown up.
4) if I got a lid with no 'hatch', would I have issues? Would Mrs Spider lurk and be off the second the lid was off? I assume if she is on the glass wall you can't knock her (coax her) down, so I suppose I'd have to be extra careful.
5) Any online stores to aim for? Or any to avoid?
6) Should I avoid spiderlings for my first time?

I will have more questions I'm sure! For the moment I'd like to set up and get the spider later, but I want to do it right.

Thanks all!

Captain Firecat

3 Year Member
Thanks Morgan :)

Another question: gender - humongous deal or...? I know males live a fraction as long as females, but in a way that's appealing as my first spider... I'll do my best, but, well... I'd feel slightly worse if a pet that had 18 years left to live died than one that had 4 or 5. BUT I've read males are miserable as once they hid adulthood they just look for females (and never find them).

How true is that? Does it vary with species?

I ask as almost every spider I've seen online that is young is unsexed, does it matter?

Morgan94

3 Year Member
Thanks Morgan :)

Another question: gender - humongous deal or...? I know males live a fraction as long as females, but in a way that's appealing as my first spider... I'll do my best, but, well... I'd feel slightly worse if a pet that had 18 years left to live died than one that had 4 or 5. BUT I've read males are miserable as once they hid adulthood they just look for females (and never find them).

How true is that? Does it vary with species?

I ask as almost every spider I've seen online that is young is unsexed, does it matter?
I'd say research the species you want the most then decide from there pick what u feel most comfortable with.. Juvies and adults are a hardier then slings but you choose

DVirginiana

3 Year Member
If you're looking for a 5-6 year commitment you could get a young male. Some people ship out their males so that they get to breed before they die. The length and intensity of the mating urges may vary between species and individuals, but once any male reaches the ultimate molt you're looking at a ticking clock.