• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

H. gigas? eating a cricket.

Quandry

3 Year Member

My husband just brought this little one home for me. It was labeled as "Cameroon Tawny red" which I think would make it an H. gigas, if the LPS was correct. I think it looks a bit fuzzy to be an H. gigas, and there might be a patch of hair missing on the back, which would indicate NW species (plus itchy hand after transferring out of the small container, though with as many NWs as I have and was handling last night, it could be leftover, I suppose). I'm wondering if it's a G. grossa. I'm utter crud at IDing, especially juveniles, but it's awesome, regardless! It tagged two crickets, one while it still had the other in its grip. I'm thinking Beelzebub for the name. xD

Anyone good at IDing juvies?

bub_zpsj9w018jt.jpg

Last edited:

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
Definately not an old world spider, so not H.gigas. I don't keep any new worlds, so won't take a guess at Genus/species

Quandry

3 Year Member
It's too dark to be rosea, no hint of red on the rump other than the slightly lighter hairs that are all over (also why I am thinking grossa). ihiringi and alticepts are probably out. Doesn't look quite dark enough for pulchra. I would be tickled pink if it turns out to be a grossa! It's a very aggressive feeder, and it threat displayed once already.

Care-wise, I know most Grammostolas are about the same, but are there any different enough I should worry about the care?

Quandry

3 Year Member
Mystery solved! There was a mix up in the sale. I didn't get a good look at him before because I was setting up his tank and letting him settle in. It's a G. grossa male. I saw the tibial hooks and knew it wasn't the right one, because my husband said they were selling a juvenile. They're offering to exchange it, but man, I wish I had a female to breed him to.

I feel pretty awesome that I had pegged the right species, though! :D

Last edited: