• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Greetings!

Crecious

3 Year Member
Hello there!

I am a resident of Costa Rica, so I have lots of native spiders, and often have tarantulas in my home. I actually found three C. Fasciatum in one day.

I am 100% new to this hobby. I used to think it was strange people had spiders as pets. I had nothing against it, just couldn't really see the appeal. But, my friend kept talking about them, getting me thinking. Then the other day, a tiny little C. Fasciatum was found under a sofa, with a horribly small abdomen. So I gently scooped the little bugger up, and made and enclosure. I know most of the people in the frown upon wild caught, but in this case the people who were cleaning were going to kill it, and when they moved it outside my cat was ready to get it. To save it, I decided to become a tarantula owner. At least until the little guy is healthier.

Right now his abdoman is so small in comparison to the rest of it's body. :( (Fair warning I am not versed in the technical terms and words for spider anatomy, so please forgive me.)
I gave it a grasshopper, caught on my organic farm, and so far no dice. :( I'm worried it might not make it, since it's so underfed.

Any words of advice?

This is an adult from the other day!

I look forward to furthering my knowledge in this hobby, and perhaps learning to love a creature I used to remove from houses (gently of course) to save them from arachnophobes.

Attachments

• 4cbf894b-a6f4-4969-a6f2-86468fe42270.jpg
    4cbf894b-a6f4-4969-a6f2-86468fe42270.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 10

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the forum,
I'm sure someone with vastly more knowledge then I will be able to give you good advice.
meanwhile, what have you got it in for an enclosure?

You could try giving it a pre-killed small grasshopper or cricket.

Crecious

3 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the forum,
I'm sure someone with vastly more knowledge then I will be able to give you good advice.
meanwhile, what have you got it in for an enclosure?

You could try giving it a pre-killed small grasshopper or cricket.

Thank you so much for the welcome.
Sheldon, as I've named it. (After my mothers imaginary spider friends she made for me. Sheldon and Stewart)

It's in a big Tupperware container, has holes, a couple small branches and a little dirt. I've not make its enclosure as realistic as I've been told is best. I'm worried about it eating first.
:( I'll be adding those once I know it will survive. I don't know if it can last 2 more days without food.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Try something small for it for now and if it's a sling (spiderling) try pre-killing it for it. Is the abdomen shriveled looking or just seem a bit small?

Crecious

3 Year Member
It's hard to describe.
Like, I am by no means an expert or even versed in tarantula behavior or physiology, but it's abdomen is like, itty bitty. I couldn't even see it until I moved the enclosure a bit and spooked it by accident.

It's not shriveled. Per se, it's very very small.
I might have a picture.
Hmm. Might not. Could have sworn I did.

Crecious

3 Year Member
My friend and I have discovered it's a male, and he thinks he's not long for this world.

So. I will share a photo of my first and short lived spider.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9

Wg25

3 Year Member
Welcome to the forum :) C.fasciatum are awesome T's! I've had mine for just over a year now. Try feeding it very small crickets! Of all the tarantula species....I always see very small abdomens on Tiger rumps....don't know why?! Just mist the side of his enclosure with a bit of water and give him some time. If he still refuses to eat wait a week or two. But still give him water every now and then! Hope it helps!

SasyStace

3 Year Member
HI there and welcome to the forum- I agree with scoolman probably best to release the ol guy and let him spend the rest of his days trying to find a lady friend. :)

Crecious

3 Year Member
Sadly he died last night. Around 6pm I noticed him curling. :(
But thank you for your your welcomes. I really appreciate the amazing hellos.

SasyStace

3 Year Member
Sadly he died last night. Around 6pm I noticed him curling. :(
But thank you for your your welcomes. I really appreciate the amazing hellos.

Once a male matures their days/months/years are numbered- you had no way of knowing when that male matured. Sorry you had him in his last days but I bet he went in comfort :)

Crecious

3 Year Member
Once a male matures their days/months/years are numbered- you had no way of knowing when that male matured. Sorry you had him in his last days but I bet he went in comfort :)
Yeah, he got grasshoppers a plenty, and he was well cared for. I just wish he'd been around a little longer.
He was my first, and probably last for a while. Since, I don't know where that female is.

He was however, a great T. while he lasted. :)

Latest posts