• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Grammostola sp. north

ta122

EE5573EA-612F-4BAA-B4B0-A0C3AFEBC61B.jpeg

This little lady was sold to me as a G. rosea, but I'm fairly certain she's a G. sp. north, I'm not disappointed. She's stunning and sweet as can be. Her carapace looks like a champagne gold, light coppery pink or a copper depending on the lighting.

A8D539F0-AD9D-40AE-9414-B8E99BFC9204.jpeg

I did manage to get 1.2 G. roseas who are all paired. I'm excited.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Very beautiful!

I think the nomenclature of G. rosea i was a juniors a bit of a mess. I will have to look it up. Is it condidered a seperate species? I think recently that the World Spider Catalog said that in the wild, G. porteri and G. rosea were essentially the same. I think the wording was that the porteri is a junior synonym to the rosea. This does not apply to the pet trade where things are may be a little more complicated. I have four Rosea and a fifth that has been considered porteri.

ta122

You are correct, but, to the best of my knowledge, G. sp. north is not the same as a porteri. It also wasn't mentioned in the article unless I missed it.

Phobik1

3 Year Member
I dont think I can recall seeing any Sp North showing a red carapace like that one. We must consider also that accidental cross breeding happens with some of those not truly familiar with each species. Im a Grammy fan myself and have several species. Iherengi, Actaeon, Pulchra, Pulchripes, Rosea?, Grossa, Vachoni and Mollicoma?

ta122

I dont think I can recall seeing any Sp North showing a red carapace like that one. We must consider also that accidental cross breeding happens with some of those not truly familiar with each species. Im a Grammy fan myself and have several species. Iherengi, Actaeon, Pulchra, Pulchripes, Rosea?, Grossa, Vachoni and Mollicoma?
The first photo is a G. sp. North. Her carapace is not red or the rosea pink. The second photo is a rosea. Did you happen to catch both of my captions?

ta122

To clarify, my G. sp. north hasn't been paired... at least not since I've had her.

I have three roseas. Two are female and one male. They have been paired.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Very beautiful!

I think the nomenclature of G. rosea i was a juniors a bit of a mess. I will have to look it up. Is it condidered a seperate species? I think recently that the World Spider Catalog said that in the wild, G. porteri and G. rosea were essentially the same. I think the wording was that the porteri is a junior synonym to the rosea. This does not apply to the pet trade where things are may be a little more complicated. I have four Rosea and a fifth that has been considered porteri.
I need to proofread more. The word junior somehow slipped into a sentence whete it did not belong. Sometimes I post during a quiet time at work but have to leave it when I am needed.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
A very beautiful T, the G. sp North. Will have to add it to my wishlist. A brief search shows Fear Not Taranulas has a female, but only available in store.

I will have to keep my eyes open.

ta122

A very beautiful T, the G. sp North. Will have to add it to my wishlist. A brief search shows Fear Not Taranulas has a female, but only available in store.

I will have to keep my eyes open.
Yep, I saw that too. I haven't seen anyone else who has them... yet. If I manage to pair her, I'll keep you in mind.

Latest posts