• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Good Tarantulas For Beginners?

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Ok, so I just had the luckiest moment ever. Lemme explain.

My birthday is on February 28, so I told my parents I didn't want a tangible gift, but to go to Repticon. We looked at the nearest Repticon in our area and decided Edison, NJ. I was super excited. But the my Dad sat down with me and said that I would probably have to pay for some of it. I was a little disappointed but was OK with the idea. We calculated gas, hotel prices, food, tickets, and how much I wanted to spend at the expo. Let's just say, it was a little pricy. NJ has some expensive hotels. I tried to come up with ways to cut down the total price without lowering my budget for Repticon itself. Couldn't think of any way except not eating for a couple days and seeping in the car, and my Dad and I don't want to do either lol. I was checking the Repticon website, and saw the other areas that that Repticon was being held. My Dad looked over my shoulder and exclaimed "Baltimore!" I was confused, I asked him why he was so happy. He said his best friend lived in Baltimore and he would happily let us stay at his house for a night or two. I was happy, since that cut down housing prices. The drive was also only 3 minutes longer than the drive to NJ. We decided to go there on the 18, spend the night, and go to Repticon on the 19. Now, I can show my Dad in person how beautiful and calm T's can be! And, the vendors can probably help explain to him that they should be child friendly. I am bringing $200-300 for the Repticon itself, and from what I have heard, that should be more than enough. I have to do TONS of chores to pay my Dad back for that though... My Mom, brother, and sister are not coming. I also got my dad to agree to holding at least 1 snake, and 1 T. Help him get over his fear and disgust of animals. I have wanted to go to Repticon EVER since I found out about it, but never though I would actually go. To all of you who go to expos often, it may not seem as big of a deal, but for me, this is a dream come true. Hundreds of people around me who won't think I am weird for thinking a tarantulas is pretty. I am so happy, you would have to see me in person to see the grin on my face that spreads across my face. Also, any other members going?
Thanks for posting this good news. Listening to you explain all this takes me back to when I was your age and I got to go to the big San Diego Reptile show that we used to have here in Southern California. It was about a two hour drive for me, but that show was a little slice of heaven for me.

Congrats! And I hope you and your Dad have a great time!

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I live in Baltimore. When is it being held exactly?
There's some good people in Baltimore, I was a member of the FB group Baltimore Fish Keepers a couple of years back (might still be, I just stopped logging into FB a couple of years ago), I joined because I was invited but I stayed because of the members, a nice bunch of people.

And that's great @Major 78 , I'll probably never get to a reptile expo, they just don't happen in my state. I think your Dads' defences are crumbling! I mean you gotta at least come home with a 1" sling!!!

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The more beautiful it is, the greater your chances of success become.

P machala Persephone molted 6.jpg

Latest posts