• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Good less common T's for beginners

Meludox

3 Year Member
I currently have two tarantulas that are considered the best for beginners, and as I continue to explore this hobby I'd like to dabble in T's that are a little less common. I probably won't be getting another one for a while, but it'd be nice to know for the future. I'm currently interested in an avicularia or B. smithi. But what are some others? I don't really have any preference of terrestrial/arboreal however I'd like one that is fairly docile, and on the off-chance that I get bit I will not be in excruciating pain.

Last edited:

timc

3 Year Member
There are some pretty interesting species in the Avicularia genus so that's a good place to start, and most are pretty calm. I've always wanted a Cyclosternum fasciatum. They're not very common and I've heard nothing but good things about them.

timc

3 Year Member
They just changed the scientific name not too long ago from I forget what. Costa Rican tiger rump Is the common name I'm fam with

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I always recommend gbbs to anyone who doesn't have one..less common you said though..so maybe a Pamphobeteus species? They need a little extra dampness in their sub but temps are normal..not an advanced genus imo..or maybe a T ockerti for an arboreal. Hmmmmm..an O diamentesis? That's a midget gbb. Or maybe one of the harder to find Lasiodora species? Pumpkin patch maybe?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
H. incei are easy, prolific webbers, fast though and only grow to around 2". Many of the Cyriocosmus are stunning, again only growing to around 2" and I have to agree with MassExodus on the O. diamentesis.

micheldied

3 Year Member
Less common meaning more expensive and rarer in the hobby? There are plenty of species that are pretty new or aren't bred as readily, but I don't know why one would want a T solely because of that(unless the intention is to breed the species).

I'd look at dealer pricelists, narrow down a couple of species you find interesting, and then ask for advice from there.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I always recommend gbbs to anyone who doesn't have one..less common you said though..so maybe a Pamphobeteus species? They need a little extra dampness in their sub but temps are normal..not an advanced genus imo..or maybe a T ockerti for an arboreal. Hmmmmm..an O diamentesis? That's a midget gbb. Or maybe one of the harder to find Lasiodora species? Pumpkin patch maybe?
Easy old boy! down Mass! lol she got u going there bud! lol. Just to add i keep my GBB on dry sub with a water dish thats all. Just sayin. :)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Easy old boy! down Mass! lol she got u going there bud! lol. Just to add i keep my GBB on dry sub with a water dish thats all. Just sayin. :)
Yeah I'm not sure what happened there with the letters getting bigger, I'm at work trying to be sneaky with my phone :p oh and I was talking about the Pamphos needing a little more moisture :oops::confused:

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah I'm not sure what happened there with the letters getting bigger, I'm at work trying to be sneaky with my phone :p oh and I was talking about the Pamphos needing a little more moisture :oops::confused:
Ok i gotcha...i guess i read that too fast. :) lol yeah i got the vibe u were getting excited. lol

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Phrixotrichus scrofa. Terrestrial species NW, attain 4" as adults, very docile, beautiful copper color after molt, great eaters and stay in the open as juvenile/adult.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Imo (and take with a pinch of salt due to inexperience)

Aphonopelma chalcodes
Avicularia sp. "Guyana"
Thrixopelma lagunas
The first two are very common species. Avicularia sp. Guyana is just another name for Avicularia avicularia.

Latest posts