• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

gonna CnC some new tops have some Qs

77RRad

3 Year Member
I am gonna make some Plexi tops for my cages that have lexan on them now, but gonna remove screen and lexan and do full plex inside the aluminum frame.
What size holes should be used and how far apart? I am fine with making them all the same and covering some if need to for higher humidity.
thanks in advance.

Ron

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Is the enclosure(s) for arboreal or terrestrial species and what size T will be in it/them?
For arboreals I don't put holes in the top, cross ventilation is required, holes on all 4 sides.
For terrestrials, holes in the top vary with what species I'm housing in it. My G. Porter/roses have 24 holes of 3/16" in 3 rows evenly spaced. The B. albopilosum and B. sabulosum have 16 of 3/16" in 2 rows evenly spaced. All these T's are 3 1/2" DLS and larger.
No holes in tops of my sling containers, just the sides, they need the extra moisture to aid in molting. Plus easier for them to burrow in moist substrate vs dry and hard.
Just keep in mind for the hole size, it needs to be smaller than the carapace of the T in the enclosure. Holes can be covered, whereas putting more in after housing the T will just be stressful for the T and you.
Hope this helps you.

77RRad

3 Year Member
all cages will need holes on the top. 3/16s is good for them not to get stuck? my biggest concern is climbing and getting stuck on the screen, this is why I am getting rid of the screens totally. I have a P Metallica it is currently in a Exo-Terra Nano cage as its only 2.5"s but also getting rid of the screen for that one too. rest are 4.5"s + , Fire Leg, GBB, and Cobalt Blue.

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Reason for hole son the top is that they are glass terrariums. the nano one has vents on the front and top.
You are correct, I was thinking all acrylic enclosures. I have 1 glass type ,this houses my F H. lividum that I breed. Its a 10 gal. with 24 3/16" holes on 1/2 of it, 3 rows spaced 1" center to center. All others are in repurposed containers or homemade acrylic ones.:)

Latest posts