• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Goliath Bird Eater

TheInnerWebs

Hey guys, So I got this girl off of craigslist and the owner said that she was abused. I've had her for about a month and she isn't eating and doesn't move a lot. when I try to get her to eat she'll walk away and hiss while she walks. Any pointers to help her out? Also any idea what species she is?
IMG_20200328_204436.jpg
IMG_20200328_204427.jpg

JayManges

I could be wrong but it looks like it might be getting ready to molt. The abdomen is nice and fat so it is not suffering from malnutrition. However, they do stop eating when they are getting ready to molt. BTW, where is the water dish?

Hemolymph

3 Year Member
Poor thing. Looks like it doesn’t need to be fed. She’s full and waiting to molt, that’s why she walks off. Substrate sucks and is way too dry. That corse substrate sucks when your so fat you have to drag your ass around. Poor baby. What’s that white stuff? Mold or ****? Hope you can help her out soon.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
This is how she has looked since I've gotten her. There is a water dish in the other side of the terrarium and, I mist daily. I use a mix of organic potting soil and coco fiber for the substrate.
Hi
You can mix a bit of velmiculite in the coco fiber and thats all that is needed to have good substrate for her.I dont use potting soil as you never know whats in it.
Dont spray just make it rain with something so substrate is moist in the lower layers .With misting you most likely moist the top only and it dries fast. You want moist substrate all the way to the bottom.
Tom moran has a very good video on YouTube for keeping moisture depending species. Will suggest to check it out
Regards Konstantin

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
agree with everything said here. That substrate can be much better.

In answer to the species as I dont think anyone has answered that original question. It's a Theraphosa stirmi (Goliath Bird eater). You can tell its a stirmi rather than a blondi as there are no long hairs on the knee joints like you can see on the other leg segments. The T blondi have longer hairs on the knee.

Last edited:

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Congrats!
Keep the moisture/humidity level correct for her and make sure she always has clean water (dish) available

Latest posts