• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Goliath Bird Eater Handling

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Meh. Theraphosa are like any other spider, they're individuals. If I had one that would allow it, I'd handle one. By all means, caution safety, but dont discourage people out of your own fear. Its a risk, not a huge one though, with the right spider.

There handling was in no way intentional. While cleaning the waterdish, a very loud bang occurred on the floor above me.

The tarantula bolted and ran right over the shelf. I caught her in mid air saving her life. When I got her back into her enclosure, she was pissed turned around and tagged me.

My other hand also got haired and was in just as much or more pain then the one actually bitten.

A T stirmi that LIKES to be handled is probably more trouble then one that doesn't.

I should've worn the gloves I use when I anticipate the chance handling might occur.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Aye, don't handle, and you'll live -- at least a while. And dying in your beds many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance to come back here and tell our forum that they may bite our fingers, but they'll never take OUR FREEDOM!!!

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have a mix. Currently only my pokies are OW. The species I have should be in my signature, gotta make sure that's ok.

I was thinking about. Encyocrotella olivacea, or maybe just an OBT. I have this small enclosure I nodded just for exciting arboreal or semi arboreal slings & don't know what to put in it.

bbbs53

3 Year Member
Go ahead, the rash is a bummer. There are less irritating ones to handle if you must however it puts the spider at risk unless you are in very close proximity to the ground. Urticating bristles don't take much exposure to skin to make a nasty break out and it can last for more than 10 days depending on how you react. I would also recommend against handling it, but I don't recommend handling ANY arachnid. They derive absolutely no benefit from the experience and you risk dropping it or having it get loose, neither is a good scenario. A lot of folks do handle them and I am sure even this species, doesn't change the risk factor at all. While they are all individuals, some seem to tolerate it better than others, it is pretty unpredictable and in my honest opinion not worth it, proceed at the risk of your T's well being.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Or, you could stop being a sissy girl, handle a Theraphosa, and become youtube famous. I would have handled some of mine, but none of them were very personable spiders. Probably grew up in the inner city, on welfare, no daddy, etc. etc.

Hemolymph

3 Year Member
image.jpg
I’ve handled lots of stirmis. Been bitten by them numerous times. Even got stitches from a female that ripped my hand open. You play with spiders you will get bit.

Latest posts