• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Going out of town for a week/ molting concerns

spiderdobiesmom

Long story short I'm going to be going out of town and my T has been showing signs of molting since December, he/she is balding on his abdomen. I haven't been eating in about two months either and I'm worried if it were to molt while I'm gone what the risks of contamination of the molt would be as well as care would go. Hoping he doesn't molt but if he does should I be concerned?

while on the subject has dug himself a hole into a cave-like thing 4-5 inches into the substrate and if he molts down there, should I dig up his hide to retrieve it because I would like to have it but putting my spider needs first I know this can be extremely stressful for them. thank ya much!

x_raphael_xx

I wouldn't worry, the molt will dry out.
I wouldn't dig out the molt if he molts underground, you'll just stress him out. I usually like to grab them if they are accessable, to add to my skin bin, but sometimes they are too awkward to read or buried in webbing. They will eventually drag it out the tunnel when they want to re-arrange the furniture

spiderdobiesmom

I wouldn't worry, the molt will dry out.
I wouldn't dig out the molt if he molts underground, you'll just stress him out. I usually like to grab them if they are accessable, to add to my skin bin, but sometimes they are too awkward to read or buried in webbing. They will eventually drag it out the tunnel when they want to re-arrange the furniture
awesome. yeah, I've read that they would push it out but wasn't sure, thank you!!