• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Giants

micheldied

3 Year Member
Well, not yet. Picked up 2 new T. stirmi today. The second molted recently, and I was able to open up the tiny molt, and it appears to be a boy, unless the spermathecae just isn't very developed (very possible, since they're only 1.5" in legspan).

Enclosures are a bit overkill, but these guys grow fast anyway. They've got two options for hides, a corkbark hide, or a ceramic pot.

Also picked up a Scolopendra sp. Hispaniola, another eventual-giant.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Nice. They're beautiful as slings, i don't care for the coloring of the adults personally. My son has been wanting a goliath but after discussing it we decided on the genic and LP for us. I was reading the stirmi is the more temperamental of the 3 goliath species, is that right?

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member
Nice. They're beautiful as slings, i don't care for the coloring of the adults personally. My son has been wanting a goliath but after discussing it we decided on the genic and LP for us. I was reading the stirmi is the more temperamental of the 3 goliath species, is that right?

I've never read that but they are the most hardy out of the theraposa's.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've never read that but they are the most hardy out of the theraposa's.
It was in tarantupedia. I'm not sure how accurate that info is, so i asked :)

here's what they say -
"Adult specimens are huge, heavy-bodied and have a post-molt colour of rich burgundy-brown with distinctive reddish setae on legs and abdomen post-molt. They also seem to have a more ferocious temperament than other goliaths."

micheldied

3 Year Member

I love the look of the adults. I'm not sure, I've only had experience with T. apophysis in the past, but based off my one day experience with the T. stirmi; they're definitely more skittish than the T. apophysis I've had before (raised from the same size).