• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Giant Mealworms morphing!

Phobik1

3 Year Member
Opened up my mealworms to feed today and saw a few of these inside.
What on Earth...

Attachments

• 20200703_225841.jpg
    20200703_225841.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
  • 20200703_225853.jpg
    20200703_225853.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 25

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
"Giant" mealworms morph into beetles, Tenebrio molitor, in 4 stages. The most desireable stage for our purposes is the larval stage, the worm.

Looks like you have 3 stages of the 4 stages in your pics: larvae, pupae and the beetle.

downloadFile.cgi

If you keep them in the refrigerator you can slow the cycle dramatically so they don't all turn into beetles.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The beetle is one of the reason we chop the heads off mealworms. As the beetle could harm our slings. Chopping the heads off mealworms, stops them from burrowing themselves to safety & then popping up a beetles sometime later.

Personally I use both the beetles & the pupa as food. I chop the head off the beetles & the end off the pupa. This allows slings easy access to the food.

Phobik1

3 Year Member
"Giant" mealworms morph into beetles, Tenebrio molitor, in 4 stages. The most desireable stage for our purposes is the larval stage, the worm.

Looks like you have 3 stages of the 4 stages in your pics: larvae, pupae and the beetle.

downloadFile.cgi

If you keep them in the refrigerator you can slow the cycle dramatically so they don't all turn into beetles.
Yea, i found that page too. At least i can feed the beetles to my larger spider. Ill still chop the heads off before feeding.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yea, i found that page too. At least i can feed the beetles to my larger spider. Ill still chop the heads off before feeding.
Not a popular feeder among spiders due to ultra hard exos and gangly legs

Let us know how it works out for you

Phobik1

3 Year Member
The beetle is one of the reason we chop the heads off mealworms. As the beetle could harm our slings. Chopping the heads off mealworms, stops them from burrowing themselves to safety & then popping up a beetles sometime later.

Personally I use both the beetles & the pupa as food. I chop the head off the beetles & the end off the pupa. This allows slings easy access to the food.
So far they dont eat the pupa. Ill try the beetles next.

thebookman10

Personally I just take out any that turn into pupae or beetles and put then in my mealworm farm. The pupae are really juicy, but don't move so unless you tong feed the T it will not eat it. The beetles have a hard exoskeleton, and can chew on a spider after it moults which is why I always tong feed any beetles I might have to feed. Honestly it is really easy and cheap to set up a mealworm farm, the only downside is in my area during the winter all production stops and I have wait until temperatures warm up so the eggs in the substrate hatch and turn into mealworms. You can often have 2-3 generations of mealworms in a long summer though.

Latest posts