• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

G. Pulchra or B. Emilia

Redacted

3 Year Member
Mass has nailed it on all counts, except CLEARLY emilia is the best brachy! Ha!!

But sure, any are going to be winners with their own weirditudes. Another good temperate relative is G. pulchripes, Chaco Golden Knee.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If you want a docile, lively and curious spider, I would actually suggest a Euathlus sp. Tiger, an undescribed dwarf Euathlus species. Any dwarf Euathlus species really..cute, curious, docile and not skittish at all..im looking at sp. Red, but I have a sp tiger thats really got my attention. She's awesome, and I find it hard not to handle her all the time.

Redacted

3 Year Member
If you want a docile, lively and curious spider, I would actually suggest a Euathlus sp. Tiger, an undescribed dwarf Euathlus species. Any dwarf Euathlus species really..cute, curious, docile and not skittish at all..im looking at sp. Red, but I have a sp tiger thats really got my attention. She's awesome, and I find it hard not to handle her all the time.
I have 1.8 of them. they are beautiful.

What's called Euathlus scrofa, but is really E. parvulus, is another inquisitive docile small T.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yes I have but they love to kick hair and they seem super skittish.
My B. boehmei doesn't love to kick hair, but will if she's in premolt and you disturb her, that's the only time I've ever seen her kick. She's not skittish either, she'll attack the water dish when you fill it, and she's very curious about what's going on in her enclosure, almost aggressive/defensive about her stuff being messed with ;) Until you get her out of the enclosure, then she's really calm and is one of the few that my son will regularly handle.

Belegnole

3 Year Member
I have a B emilia that I have had since it was about a quarter inch. Right now its around an inch and a quarter ( 10 months later) and it's a great little T.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have a B emilia that I have had since it was about a quarter inch. Right now its around an inch and a quarter ( 10 months later) and it's a great little T.
about the same size as mine when i got it and the size now.

MyLilRed

3 Year Member
As far as generalizing, neither species has an aggressive reputation. Have you checked out B boehmei? My favorite Brachypelma:)
Talk about having a split personality... B boehmei's are famous for that, not to mention a big hair kicker! (Most of them anyway) The Emilia's are laid back and don't kick hardly any hairs. My B pulchra is soo sweet and laid back, she never kicks any hairs at me. My smithi is very active and will kick hairs when she feels like it. The Euathlus species are an excellent choice for beginners, but I would try to find one already 1" or so, they grow very slow. (Mine is still hanging @ 1.5") GBB'S are gorgeous speed demons and like kicking hair too, but love the webs mine make. On the calm arboreal side, there's the classic avicularia avic (Pink toe). Need a little more attention as far as making them happy to survive. Just don't buy into all the stories you read online about keeping them alive. I admit I am a little nervous with my girl, but have faith and the knowledge of some friends that can put me on the right path with this species. In a nut shell, these T's are not all too difficult to care for. Once feared by many is now becoming more excepted and collected as their own. It's wise to do your research before jumping into tne hobby. These are not one that you just throw a cricket to them every now and then. They need care and attention just like any other but maybe not as much. Many people who have T's simply love their collection and show them the RESPECT they so deserve. I have 1 male and 4 girls in my collection, and truly admire everyone!!
Oh one more tad bit... it's NOT the size that makes the tarantula, so keep that in mind when doing your research. Cheers

Last edited:

Latest posts