• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

G. pulchra 1 to 1.5 Inch Photo Request

BrokenRay

3 Year Member
As per the title can anyone provide a photo of their 1 inch and also 1.5 inch G. pulchra?

I have suspicions on mine that it may be something else.

Thanks in advance to replies.

As per the title can anyone provide a photo of their 1 inch and also 1.5 inch G. pulchra?

Took me a minute to find pictures of her around that size, they’re not the best but she’s probably like 1.5 - 2 here.

Attachments

• 1346B56B-852C-4837-9A2E-D3EF82EA04E3.png
    1346B56B-852C-4837-9A2E-D3EF82EA04E3.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 161
  • 35B92F3C-A5A8-4CD7-85CF-F31FA6CE058E.png
    35B92F3C-A5A8-4CD7-85CF-F31FA6CE058E.png
    5 MB · Views: 158

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It’s a very generic thing that the American side of the hobby seem to want to do. To me it sounds like you want to call your Pulchra a Quirogai so you can say it isn’t from Brazil .No one is coming to your house and taking your spiders. It came up a while back everyone over there was petrified they were going to lose their pokies. The authorities don’t even know who has them, and if they are illegal then they would be illegal this side of the pond aswell. But nothing has been said. Not 1 piece of legislation.

In these I believe she’s about 0.5 - 1. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• 859EF3C0-F102-46A9-BFBC-76186909F959.png
    859EF3C0-F102-46A9-BFBC-76186909F959.png
    5.8 MB · Views: 69
  • 159F6E06-821A-4045-83B6-65F7B2AC8CB7.jpeg
    159F6E06-821A-4045-83B6-65F7B2AC8CB7.jpeg
    18.1 KB · Views: 67

BrokenRay

3 Year Member
Took me a minute to find pictures of her around that size, they’re not the best but she’s probably like 1.5 - 2 here.

Thank you so much it does help. Now I definitely think I was sold something else. My pulchra doesn't look anything like yours.

It's about 1.5 to 1.75 inches and it's legs are very thin compared to yours.

I will try to get a photo later. It very rarely comes out of it's burrow.

BrokenRay

3 Year Member
It’s a very generic thing that the American side of the hobby seem to want to do. To me it sounds like you want to call your Pulchra a Quirogai so you can say it isn’t from Brazil .No one is coming to your house and taking your spiders. It came up a while back everyone over there was petrified they were going to lose their pokies. The authorities don’t even know who has them, and if they are illegal then they would be illegal this side of the pond aswell. But nothing has been said. Not 1 piece of legislation.

What in the world are you talking about?

I think you replied to the wrong topic.

BrokenRay

3 Year Member
My Grammostola pulchra at around 1.5"

View attachment 47683

Wow that is one sweet pulchra.

My supposedly pulchra is still hiding in it's burrow. Mine doesn't look anything like this. It's very thin and spindly.

I bought mine at .5 inch from an exotic pet show from a predominantly reptile breeder. This is the problem I didn't know any better at the time I purchased it not to buy tarantulas from reptile breeders.

Mine grew from .5 inch to over 1 inch in 4 months and I don't know or think they grow that fast. I know they are slow growers but I just don't know if that is normal or not.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Wow that is one sweet pulchra.

My supposedly pulchra is still hiding in it's burrow. Mine doesn't look anything like this. It's very thin and spindly.

I bought mine at .5 inch from an exotic pet show from a predominantly reptile breeder. This is the problem I didn't know any better at the time I purchased it not to buy tarantulas from reptile breeders.

Mine grew from .5 inch to over 1 inch in 4 months and I don't know or think they grow that fast. I know they are slow growers but I just don't know if that is normal or not.

If you can post a photo of yours I'm sure someone will try to identify it for you.

BrokenRay

3 Year Member
If you can post a photo of yours I'm sure someone will try to identify it for you.

Been trying, it only comes out of it's burrow once in a very great while. It was out this morning. I went to take a photo and it quickly scooted back into it's burrow, very frustrating.

BrokenRay

3 Year Member
What makes you think it isn’t a Pulchra?

Read my replies above. That..... and I did a search first online for g. pulchra spiderling photos which I couldn"t find much on 1 to 1.5 inch photos just quick searching.

Until I can get a photo of mine that is clear I was asking for photos so I can do a comparison now.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Read my replies above. That..... and I did a search first online for g. pulchra spiderling photos which I couldn"t find much on 1 to 1.5 inch photos just quick searching.

Until I can get a photo of mine that is clear I was asking for photos so I can do a comparison now.
Well if you bought it as a Pulchra then it’s a Pulchra. When I got my sling it was .5 and black. The female we have is 1.5” and has been brown until now. Even if you find a picture that suits what your looking for it might still be wrong. Until it’s larger it’s what you bought it as. I’m just putting 2 and 2 together as on the other thread you were worried about Brazilian species and now all of a sudden you want someone to tell you your Pulchra isn’t one.

Last edited by a moderator:

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Well if you bought it as a Pulchra then it’s a Pulchra.
Well, not necessarily true...

We bought a 1/2" G. rosea sling and it proved female at it's last molt. Here she is today.

Anyone think this is G rosea?
IMG_20200704_094446.jpg

Not a pic for the OP, nor G pulchra

BrokenRay

3 Year Member
Well if you bought it as a Pulchra then it’s a Pulchra. When I got my sling it was .5 and black. The female we have is 1.5” and has been brown until now. Even if you find a picture that suits what your looking for it might still be wrong. Until it’s larger it’s what you bought it as. I’m just putting 2 and 2 together as on the other thread you were worried about Brazilian species and now all of a sudden you want someone to tell you your Pulchra isn’t one.

Yeah I understand what you're saying. I'm not worried anymore however I was at first.

I'm well experienced in U.S. state and federal criminal law. Due to this I do not need/want the trouble in any way shape or form. You do not want to tangle with U.S. Fish and Game. I know people who have and came out with a felony, large fine and prison time FYI for non U.S. citizens.

Also I'm not a very experienced keeper like most members here. Hell I don't even have a mature T yet and still lack that experience as well.

I freely admit my faults because I know I'm not perfect and even less perfect than most people.

I do my best to treat everyone with respect here. Even though you assumed something with me and made an arrogant statement to me as well. Again I understand how you arrived at that. The arrogant part is not needed.

That's fine you are entitled to your opinion. I'm not looking to argue or cause any trouble. It is merely coincidence with this post and a previous post I did on 'The Lacy Act'.

I want my G. pulchra to be a G. pulchra darn it. All I do know is it is a new world as it is a prolific hair kicker. As it grew it was just scrawny with very thin legs.

It just recently emerged from it's burrow like a couple of days ago, slightly bigger. Now I question if it really is a pulchra.

Here in the U.S. breeders who mainly sell reptiles and dabble a little in selling tarantulas on the side have a bad reputation with T's. Mis-identification, wild caught, diseased is common. Mostly with commercial reptile breeders. Not all but the majority.

I hope this clears everything up.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well, not necessarily true...

We bought a 1/2" G. rosea sling and it proved female at it's last molt. Here she is today.

Anyone think this is G rosea?
View attachment 47691

Not a pic for the OP, nor G pulchra
You misunderstood what I meant. We’ve had Ts change species too. What I’m saying is if something is a small generic sling then it’s what it was purchased as until you can identify it.

BrokenRay

3 Year Member
Thanks Casey for the photos. Mine didn't and does not currently look like yours.

It is a challenge to get a photo of mine. When it came out I tried to get my camera positioned for a decent photo and it bolted fast inside it's burrow.

I'm not giving up, I am determined to photo this little booger head.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks Casey for the photos. Mine didn't and does not currently look like yours.

It is a challenge to get a photo of mine. When it came out I tried to get my camera positioned for a decent photo and it bolted fast inside it's burrow.

I'm not giving up, I am determined to photo this little booger head.

You're welcome. Make sure you post a pic of your baby here. G. pulchra go through a few color phases prior to turning completely black. They can be anywhere from a light brown with a reddish colored carapace to brown with a brown carapace in juvie stage prior to molting. Coloration varies. :)

Latest posts