• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Food help for g. pulchra Slings (2.5-3cm). Also, Tliltocatl albopilosus .

Calsi worms or Wax worms for "Grown on" Slings

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hi all.
This started as a post, put, will set it as a Poll.

I have:

* 0.0.2. G. Pulchra Slings - "Grown on" 3cm Sling's.
* 0.0.1 but possible 0.1Tliltocatl albopilosus. "Juvinile/SubAdult) 4 Inch.

I was looking into foods for them.
Would Calsi Worms Large be too big, or best to go with small?
One, possibly molted recently(defore I recived them), unsure though. @Phil
How true is it that if you feed Calsi Worms to Slings... Their exoskeleton, becomes too thick/gives issues whilst molting.... an best given post molt...
Or, Are Wax Worms more suitable food choice?

Are Dubia (med-large) and Hissing (Med-Large) Roaches suitable or too big for a Tliltocatl albopilosus?

See photo's for size and added personality!

Attachments

• t.jpg
    t.jpg
    855.1 KB · Views: 26
  • run away.png
    run away.png
    508.7 KB · Views: 29
  • pose.png
    pose.png
    589.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Hang out.png
    Hang out.png
    336.7 KB · Views: 27
  • feather.jpg
    feather.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 25
  • defence.png
    defence.png
    611.5 KB · Views: 25

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi all.
This started as a post, put, will set it as a Poll.

I have:

* 0.0.2. G. Pulchra Slings - "Grown on" 3cm Sling's.
* 0.0.1 but possible 0.1Tliltocatl albopilosus. "Juvinile/SubAdult) 4 Inch.

I was looking into foods for them.
Would Calsi Worms Large be too big, or best to go with small?
One, possibly molted recently(defore I recived them), unsure though. @Phil
How true is it that if you feed Calsi Worms to Slings... Their exoskeleton, becomes too thick/gives issues whilst molting.... an best given post molt...
Or, Are Wax Worms more suitable food choice?

Are Dubia (med-large) and Hissing (Med-Large) Roaches suitable or too big for a Tliltocatl albopilosus?

See photo's for size and added personality!
I predominately feed all mine farmed/shop bought crickets. yours were happily eating the following before they were shipped

Pulchra = small silent brown crickets 1-2 a week

Curly = Large crickets 2 or 3 a week although would easily take dubia and locust too.

Never used Calsi worms but if they are high in calcium, then in theory, like feeding rodents, the calcium in the prey COUKD cause the exoskeleton to harden which COULD be attributed to moult issues so my advice.....dont take the risk and stick to crickets in the main.

BTW. Do not gut load the crickets either, like you would do reptiles, it's not needed and there is no proven benefit. if you want to give crickets something to eat to prolong life, salad leaves is fine.

I predominately feed all mine farmed/shop bought crickets. yours were happily eating the following before they were shipped

Pulchra = small silent brown crickets 1-2 a week

Curly = Large crickets 2 or 3 a week although would easily take dubia and locust too.

Never used Calsi worms but if they are high in calcium, then in theory, like feeding rodents, the calcium in the prey COUKD cause the exoskeleton to harden which COULD be attributed to moult issues so my advice.....dont take the risk and stick to crickets in the main.

BTW. Do not gut load the crickets either, like you would do reptiles, it's not needed and there is no proven benefit. if you want to give crickets something to eat to prolong life, salad leaves is fine.
Hi.
@Phil
Thanks!

Ok, I will avoid the Calsi worms, and maybe just use then post molt?I will get some Dubai and some crickets or something for the Slings.
Just like to give a variety of foods to my creatures.
Thanks.
Do you have a website, I could look at?

Warm Regards

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi.
@Phil
Thanks!

Ok, I will avoid the Calsi worms, and maybe just use then post molt?I will get some Dubai and some crickets or something for the Slings.
Just like to give a variety of foods to my creatures.
Thanks.
Do you have a website, I could look at?

Warm Regards
no website no. Just a hobbyist :)

Christine.A

3 Year Member
If you want a good alternative to crickets then you could do B. lateralis roaches. They don’t jump, they don’t fly, they don’t climb smooth surfaces, they don’t burrow. The only thing is if they get loose they can infest your house so just gotta be careful. Otherwise I like dubia roaches the best, you just have to crush their heads before you drop them in which is a bit gross.

If you want a good alternative to crickets then you could do B. lateralis roaches. They don’t jump, they don’t fly, they don’t climb smooth surfaces, they don’t burrow. The only thing is if they get loose they can infest your house so just gotta be careful. Otherwise I like dubia roaches the best, you just have to crush their heads before you drop them in which is a bit gross.
Hi.
I have not seen people crush their heads?
I don't want to risk an infestation either.
I will probably go for roaches for my larger one.

If you don’t crush their heads they tend to either burrow into the substrate or they don’t move. It can be frustrating and they could avoid being eaten for a long time.
Who knows... Maybe a sort of symbiotic could be useful. Although would not encourage/force this.
Unless spring tails where added

Phobik1

3 Year Member
Hi. I currently have 3 G. Pulchripes, 1 G. Pulchra, 1. T Epicurianum, 2 T. Nicaraguans (1 .5inch, 1 1.5inch) 1 Avic Avic slings. 2 juvenile Hamori and 2 sub adult G Grossa and all of them eat mealworms happily.

My slings get them cut in segments usually by cutting off the heads and then halfing them. It can be a big meal for the slings as they sometimes sit on the meal for more than 24 hrs and may skip a meal next week but they all eat all the time if left alone.

Cutting off or crushing the heads keeps them from burrowing and only one of my adults attacks quick enuff to not bother cutting head off.

Reptisect

3 Year Member
Hi, I tend to avoid crickets all together because the species commonly for sale are noisy, hard to breed and when they escape you spend hours looking for it only to discover that it crawled into a crack in the wall and starts singing as loud as posible nonstop!! The feeders I use are dubia roaches, B lateralis roaches, meal worms and super worms(I always crush their heads to prevent burrowing and getting away). But just because I dont like crickets does not mean you should avoid them ,I just seem to hate crickets;)

Hi. I currently have 3 G. Pulchripes, 1 G. Pulchra, 1. T Epicurianum, 2 T. Nicaraguans (1 .5inch, 1 1.5inch) 1 Avic Avic slings. 2 juvenile Hamori and 2 sub adult G Grossa and all of them eat mealworms happily.

My slings get them cut in segments usually by cutting off the heads and then halfing them. It can be a big meal for the slings as they sometimes sit on the meal for more than 24 hrs and may skip a meal next week but they all eat all the time if left alone.

Cutting off or crushing the heads keeps them from burrowing and only one of my adults attacks quick enuff to not bother cutting head off.
Nice collection you have their.
Thanks!
Its good to be well informed, of the various food options.

Hi, I tend to avoid crickets all together because the species commonly for sale are noisy, hard to breed and when they escape you spend hours looking for it only to discover that it crawled into a crack in the wall and starts singing as loud as posible nonstop!! The feeders I use are dubia roaches, B lateralis roaches, meal worms and super worms(I always crush their heads to prevent burrowing and getting away). But just because I dont like crickets does not mean you should avoid them ,I just seem to hate crickets;)
Yeah, I like to try and avoid cricket's, unless the entire tub will be eaten... Say as you would feeding a monitor lizard, or other substantially sized lizard.

I once had a few escape.. And by god! What a pavlova! Yes I said pavlova, worse than the mess results after eating some.

Also, they can be rather canabalistic. I am not against using them... Just would rather have smaller pots, that I know will get eaten.
Even my locusts have started to molt to the winged variety. So hopefully my Tliltocatl Albopilosum will chase them down as she's a good 5inch. Suspected Female.

Latest posts