• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Flies as food?

HungryGhost

3 Year Member
Has anyone ever used flies as food for a young T? I keep mantids and the staple food for them are flies, so I always have blue bottle fly spikes, pupae, and adults on hand. Sometimes I have house flies too. I have an LP sling that was on hydei fruit flies until the last molt, now I'm feeding it house flies (and crickets if I have any small enough). It seems to love the house flies. After the next molt it will be big enough to take blue bottle flies and small crickets. The adult flies are well fed on honey, bee pollen, and water before they are fed to mantids or T's. I've tried to find the nutritional content of flies but haven't had any luck.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hydei, are a fine food source, and any other captive bred flies should be ok, although crickets,and roaches are still the best option.
if you're talking about wild house flies, I'd avoid them

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Has anyone ever used flies as food for a young T? I keep mantids and the staple food for them are flies, so I always have blue bottle fly spikes, pupae, and adults on hand. Sometimes I have house flies too. I have an LP sling that was on hydei fruit flies until the last molt, now I'm feeding it house flies (and crickets if I have any small enough). It seems to love the house flies. After the next molt it will be big enough to take blue bottle flies and small crickets. The adult flies are well fed on honey, bee pollen, and water before they are fed to mantids or T's. I've tried to find the nutritional content of flies but haven't had any luck.

Hello
I'd also avoid wild house flies, since they can be carrying different bacteria. So I wouldn't risk my T at all,that's just a personal preference .