• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Finally joined "the Club"

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi there,
complete Noob here, having purchased my first T about a month ago and already suffering signs of addiction (second T is on its way, lol).
My first T is a Chilean Rose (do I hear yawns, lol), about 10cms with legs, unsexed, but my wishful thinking mind has decided she's a girl. I call her Fuzzball, not that she cares... Originally I didn't want a G. Rosea and only went into the shop to buy some equipment before ordering something like an A. Genic or B. Auratum, but then the shop owner placed this pretty red spider on my hand and I just had to have her (the spider that is, lol). I'm prepared for erratic behaviour and months long fasting, but hey, I'm a mum of 3 boys, so nothing shocks me easily. So far Fuzzball is a great display pet (I don't see any point in handling Ts), as she never hides, is actually quite active and always
IMG_1605.JPG
IMG_1625.JPG
IMG_1657.JPG
seems hungry (probably preparing for winter fast). I love how she pounces her crickets with 4 legs flying in the air and how she cleans her fangs after.
Anyway, I recently talked my husband into letting me have another spider with the condition that it would be something really colourful (not that Fuzzball isn't colourful - she's very red). So hopefully on Tuesday I will be the proud owner of a Brachypelma Boehmei sling (2cm leg span). I'm quite nervous about going for a sling, but hopefully this will be to my advantage, because I'll be extra careful so not to kill it with wrong husbandry. Excited!
Anyway, here's some pics of (yet another) G. Rosea:

StoptheInsanity

3 Year Member
Your Rosea is very pretty and very red...My girl is only pink...Love her...She was my first, also...This was last October...I currently have 25 plus...One to ten, no work at all...When you get this many, you find yourself always checking waters, etc, or re homing, or doing something...At least I am...Then I'm sometimes I even find myself out there on the patio in the middle of the night checking them out...

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks all! I'm really happy about my Rosea. Had I known how easy (and cheap, lol) it is to keep Ts, I would have started with them a lot sooner.
It's so fascinating to watch their behaviour and discover new "quirks" like last night: She grabbed her cricket as usual (poor thing stupidly tried to check out that big furry thing in front of it and went right into her fangs, lol) and then started webbing a circular eating mat on the ground, shaking her back side from left to right. It looked hilarious.
The other day, I had to switch on my corn snakes heat mats (Scottish summer is over :( ) and accidentally leaned over her faunarium and bumped it. Straight away, she took a few steps towards me (raising her whole body like walking on stilts) and went into the cutest threat position, the big bad spider that she is...not.