• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding FFF

Meludox

3 Year Member
I am having a hard time feeding flightless fruit flies. I got them for a 1/4" T that I have and they came in the standard tall deli cup or whatever. But I don't know how to get just one out; I open the lid and they all just come crawling out. When I hit the container to knock them down they come right back up. Suggestions?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I had the same problem. I never was able to get just one out of the cup thing the culture was in. I finally tossed them and just feed the 2 slings i have at 1/4" prekill pinhead lateralis.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've never used them. I've always cut up superworms or used dubia nymphs. Ive always heard fff were a hassle. Slings have no issues scavaging prekilled prey, and you won't have to deal with fff.:) If it helps, Steven Stamps has a video on YouTube where he feeds frozen thawed fff to slings. Or was his the pinhead cricket video ...You know I think it was thereapersride that had the video with the fff..anyways, freeze em and thaw them maybe? 3 or 4 at a time?

Meludox

3 Year Member
I would use B. lateralis, and I actually was for a while, but after finding out that they were invasive AND that some had escaped my container I was done. :D And of course I ordered pinhead crickets as well with the flies but they're way smaller than expected. 1/8".

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would use B. lateralis, and I actually was for a while, but after finding out that they were invasive AND that some had escaped my container I was done. :D And of course I ordered pinhead crickets as well with the flies but they're way smaller than expected. 1/8".
I've been feeding lats lately too, they're quick and not like dubia at all..my spiders and whipspiders like them though, and a colony of both gives me feeding options for different species/sizes. Dubia nymphs are a perfect sling meal as well. I have 6 pumpkin patch slings that love them.

Just1moreT

3 Year Member
I keep a constant supply of crickets I raise from pins up.I try to keep around a 1000 at a time.and they pretty much all get fed off before the die , if housed right and fed and watered good they live well over 2 months. If I get to many hatched out I sell or give to my LPS.when enough adults start showing up in the cricket bin I place the bowl in with them, to start the cycle over again.just my preference I like pin head crickets up to 1/16 inch or so for the 1/4 inch slings.I have 1000's of roaches as well lol. I feed a couple hundred T's in all sizes.I prefer to only feed live moving stuff to my T's ,but that's just me