• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding Arboreal Ts

jujubees

3 Year Member
I have a few Ts already but just recently got an A. Metallica, my first tree dweller T. It's maybe 1.5-1.75 inches and has made her web in a way that I can't easily access the enclosure without messing up the web. With that being said, I'm having a real difficult time getting food to climb or get close enough to her so she can grab it else I would just put the food right on her doorstep. I've read that destroying webs on a regular basis is stressful and I would like to avoid that if necessary. Any tips on how to feed her effectively or is it just a try til you succeed kind of thing?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    482.3 KB · Views: 26

jujubees

3 Year Member
I am currently at work but ill grab a pic when I get home and post it. I've basically improvised a make shift encloser out of a water pitcher until my new enclosure comes in. It has a little hinge that opens so I can drop food in and take out waste but she has included the bottom of the lid in her funnel. But like I said I'll post a pic when I get home. Ty for response.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 29

Sabeth

3 Year Member
Is the web up near the lid? If it were me I would reconfigure the container so that you can keep it standing on its lid end; that way your avic will build her web up near the top (or what was originally the bottom of the container). You can remove the furnishings (keep these to a minimum to make it easier), turn the container over, and drop the food in. This is how I do it for my A. versicolor. Once she's grabbed the food and retreated back into her web, flip it back over and replace the lid, etc. Alternatively, you could kill the food first and use tweezers to poke it into the web.

Christell Erasmus

3 Year Member
Is the web up near the lid? If it were me I would reconfigure the container so that you can keep it standing on its lid end; that way your avic will build her web up near the top (or what was originally the bottom of the container). You can remove the furnishings (keep these to a minimum to make it easier), turn the container over, and drop the food in. This is how I do it for my A. versicolor. Once she's grabbed the food and retreated back into her web, flip it back over and replace the lid, etc. Alternatively, you could kill the food first and use tweezers to poke it into the web.

I also do this with my tree avics. it work wonderfully. :p

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello
Lovely avic, with my arboreal types I have I use a front entry enclosure if possible. Otherwise I use their tunnel entrance, but use small crickets. Most of the time I guide them in, if the T is still small I squash the head and push in into the entrance, they will pull it in. Other than that, I have on two occasions slightly pulled the tunnel apart not saying its right but the tarantulas adjusted. My older avic avic, has now twice taken a cricket from my hand might just be random. I was on both occasions trying to drop it in, both times taken not once bitten. Will add, I'm not going to do it say with my l.sp Borneo black or l.violaceopes but my avic has been sweet.

Lawrence b

3 Year Member
I ve got two Heteroscodra maculata kept in jars I just drop small crickets in I bought them in the jars. There about same size as yours ones webbed up to top of jar but not on lid .When they hungry they eat , I ve always fed spiderlings the same way.

jujubees

3 Year Member
Awesome! Thanks for the help folks but unfortunaelty 2 of my T's died my red rump and rose hair :( :( we had a terrible ice storm which knocked out power for hundreds of thousands that were in SC and GA. freezing temps killed em. Still no power for me and on day 6 :/ anyways my avic survived so not all is lost. She came out of her funnel yesterday to grab some food your right. if they are hungry they will eat. thanks for the help again folks!