• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding advice

Will25

3 Year Member
Hey guys! So I always wanted to give my A .geniculata a mouse to eat when it was a proper size! Mine is not nearly full grown but I think will easily be able to eat one! After doing some research and watching tones of videos....I found out that it could also be dangerous for your T. So if I give it a young mouse or even a pinkie that is an appropriate size for my T....should I feed it one or do you guys think it is unnecessary? Thanks!

Ghost

3 Year Member
IMHO it's unnecessary as I have said on another thread today just because some T's get quite large doesn't mean that crickets,roaches and the like wont be enough for them.
However if you feel the need to feed your T a mouse,then I would suggest an appropriate sized pr-killed pinkie is your best option and I wouldn't feed them on a regular basic just one every few months and use crickets or roaches the rest of the time......

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I dont see the reason for doing at all personally. The only thing u get out of it is look i feed mice to my giant spider! Ive read that the amount of calcium is not exactly good for a tarantula from too many mammals. also it could hurt the spider, unless like ghost said give it a prekilled one. just my 2 cents. :)

Ghost

3 Year Member
I dont see the reason for doing at all personally. The only thing u get out of it is look i feed mice to my giant spider! Ive read that the amount of calcium is not exactly good for a tarantula from too many mammals. also it could hurt the spider, unless like ghost said give it a prekilled one. just my 2 cents. :)

This is one of the down falls of YouTube I guess newbies see all these videos of people feeding live mice to their giant T's just for kicks or see them handling their pokies and OBTs and think its normal and that everyone that keeps T's dose the same.....

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
This is one of the down falls of YouTube I guess newbies see all these videos of people feeding live mice to their giant T's just for kicks or see them handling their pokies and OBTs and think its normal and that everyone that keeps T's dose the same.....
Yeah i agree, i think it is neat to watch sometimes but i would never do it or recommend it. Thats why they put that stuff on youtube. looking for attention. IMO

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The calcium myth has pretty much been debunked I believe.

It's still dangerous for the spider though and extremely unnecessary. Why are you feeling the need to do this? It isn't beneficial and can be dangerous.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The calcium myth has pretty much been debunked I believe.

It's still dangerous for the spider though and extremely unnecessary. Why are you feeling the need to do this? It isn't beneficial and can be dangerous.
oh i hadn't read otherwise @Chubbs about the calcium theory being reversed. ...so much we have to learn and it is crazy we r learning right along side the "experts"

Latest posts