• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Fear Not Tarantulas "Grand Opening"!

Sarah.Eileen

A rambling tale!

At the beginning of the month, Fear Not Tarantulas had a grand opening event and a meet and greet with some cool characters, including Tom Patterson and Richard from The Tarantula Collective! I had already been in the store a couple of times (it's a GREAT place to check out adult T displays) but I definitely wanted to check out the sales and meet Richard.

I had planned to pick up one or two slings off my wishlist, but I walked out with 5 slings and an isopod culture, as it goes heh.

I got a C versicolor (which has been on my list for a while now), a B hamorri (classic!), an H sp. Columbia (which is TINY and thus slightly intimidating), and two P cambridgei's.

As far as the P cambridgei's go, they were freebies and weren't on my radar at all. I read that they are a good transition into Old Worlds if I am comfortable with rehousing them - thoughts on this? I have only been keeping Ts for about a year now (my total now is 10 Ts, and they are all New World beginner types).

Anyhoo, I attached some pictures of the new additions - can't wait to watch them grow up!

20210704_160510.jpg

20210703_204347.jpg

IMG_1641.jpg

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I am jellin! Great time to meet Tanya, Tom, and of course, our favorite Top 10 guru, Richard.

P. cams are a good transition spider. they are fast and feisty like old worlds, but their venom is more modest. Personally, I like that your Psalmopeus are slings. They still are mighty fast, but at that size, are pretty harmless.

FYI, my first transition spider was a P. cam sling after about one year of keeping as well. She now is a 6 inch monster.
20210119_201523.jpg

Sarah.Eileen

I am jellin! Great time to meet Tanya, Tom, and of course, our favorite Top 10 guru, Richard.

P. cams are a good transition spider. they are fast and feisty like old worlds, but their venom is more modest. Personally, I like that your Psalmopeus are slings. They still are mighty fast, but at that size, are pretty harmless.

FYI, my first transition spider was a P. cam sling after about one year of keeping as well. She now is a 6 inch monster.

Ah, thanks! Yes I'm so very glad I got them as slings - I've seen quite a few videos of them being fiesty, but I think I'm ready to handle it. Time will tell!

sunset

Congratulations on the new TS. My first old world is the Cambrigi also!!. I just got her about a month ago. I did a lot of research on it's species and watched as many videos as I could to prepare my self.
She came in a med. Vile so I had to do the first housing. Mine lived up to the name to a T. I mean if I was rolled into a towel and shipped I'd be p*""ed too. So she came jumping out. She jumped from inside her enclosure on her towel to the top of the enclosure and then jumped again across the enclosure to the edge of the outer large catch bucket and went over the edge n just sat a min. I let it do it's thing and didn't try to catch it or panic as I knew it was capable of this and had hear that most times ppl get tagged is during a rehouse. After a few minutes I grab the catch cup popped it over the top. she threw a threat pose then climbed inside and I lowered the catch cup inside, put the cover on top and let her come out when she was ready.
Being prepared is the best thing you can do for you and your tarantula but boy seeing in real life gave me a whole new respect and such enjoyment knowing I get to watch the species grow up even more for many years to come. How lucky are we!!

Latest posts