• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Fascinating!!

maxxdout

3 Year Member
I don't own one, and have no interest in one lol spider phobic here!...just stumbled upon this forum, and had to see why people keep them! They really are beautiful, and its amazing they can be kept as pets! Do they actually interact with you, and make good pets? Do you handle them/ let them loose ever? I'm into reptiles, but have a major curiosity for anything exotic like this!

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It depends on your definition of "pets"
I view them like a fish tank. I don't handle, or try to interact, I observe because it interests me.
but no they're not going to interact with you although some will tolerate handling.

khatchet

3 Year Member
I love to keep them for the same reason I keep all my pets I love animals. Also I keep reptile as well as many others here.

Tongue Flicker

3 Year Member
I don't own one, and have no interest in one lol spider phobic here!...just stumbled upon this forum, and had to see why people keep them! They really are beautiful, and its amazing they can be kept as pets! Do they actually interact with you, and make good pets? Do you handle them/ let them loose ever? I'm into reptiles, but have a major curiosity for anything exotic like this!

I started out like you. My first and original passion was snakes. I never imagined i'd be interested enough to have a tarantulas and a scorpion as a pet :D

April

3 Year Member
I just got mine a day ago. And I love her, already two years old but she needed a home. I've held her a couple times but just letting her get used to the surroundings

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello
It's a love for the animal, each of my specimens has its own personality. I know that sounds weird, but its true. That's how I keep track of each of my tarantulas, its starts off as I only want one well doesn't end there. They are fun to observe, stalking techniques webbing mating the list is endless. Then as a bonus, some are so beautiful. I'm glad I started, and I will only keep on going.

Sabeth

3 Year Member
They make excellent pets! Super easy to care for...no smell or noise, don't take up much space, require very little food, and are perfectly content to just live. As in, you don't have to interact with them like you do a dog or a cat. That said, a lot of people do enjoy handling. It's a topic with a lot of different opinions involved, but mine is that if you're considerate and respectful of the tarantula and if the tarantula is okay with it, there's no harm in it. There are some types of Ts that you should not handle, however! Do your research on a particular species before you try handling, and remember that your individual may possess characteristics that depart from the "norm". Last but not least, never let your T run loose! :)