• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Fake egg sac?

ItsukinoKira

3 Year Member
Hello!!

So I was just checking up on my Bonnetina papalutlensis since she was building a nice mat and I thought she was going to molt... But she built an egg sac.

She molted one week after I got her and after that she has never been bred so I definitely think is a fake egg sac and now I'm (almost) sure she's an adult haha

How should I proceed c:? I'm new on this matter :B

Thank you!

IMG_20230424_202336.jpg

IMG_20230424_213134.jpg

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
We have had a couple of infertile egg sacks & we leave it a few days before removing them.

Use long tongs & preferably bamboo or plastic tongs, not metal. As mummy T can be protective.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Just an afterthought. When you do remove the sack, don't feel you need to do it within a set time. It is perfectly OK to go back & do it later, if mummy T is getting stressed.

My wife took 2 or 3 goes to remove a sack from one of her Psalmopoeus cambridgei, but a couple of weeks ago removed a sack from her other & until that point, unsexed cambridgei, first go. And my red fang wandering spider was really easy to remove the sack from, thankfully. I had left the sack in the enclosure of the red fang, for close to a week & she was not at all bothered when I did removed the sack.

Also, do not forget to feed your B papalutlensis well in the weeks after you remove the egg sack. Laying an egg sack, even a phantom egg sack takes a lot out of T's.

ItsukinoKira

3 Year Member
Just an afterthought. When you do remove the sack, don't feel you need to do it within a set time. It is perfectly OK to go back & do it later, if mummy T is getting stressed.

My wife took 2 or 3 goes to remove a sack from one of her Psalmopoeus cambridgei, but a couple of weeks ago removed a sack from her other & until that point, unsexed cambridgei, first go. And my red fang wandering spider was really easy to remove the sack from, thankfully. I had left the sack in the enclosure of the red fang, for close to a week & she was not at all bothered when I did removed the sack.

Also, do not forget to feed your B papalutlensis well in the weeks after you remove the egg sack. Laying an egg sack, even a phantom egg sack takes a lot out of T's.
I had luck that she left it a bit when I looked at her today and took my chance.

I opened it and it has eggs :v?!?!?
Probably not going to develop but wot? #soconfusedomg

Attachments

• IMG_20230426_214038.jpg
    IMG_20230426_214038.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8

Latest posts