• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

facts about tarantula

Marcy

3 Year Member
Hi, I am a newbie. I've been with my tarantula for like a week now I guess, but I gotta admit I got confused when the seller told me it might get stressed and there's a possibility that it might commit suicide cus I have been exploring blogs on Google but I haven't seen any topics about it yet. Based on your experience as a professional handler or keeper do you guys think it's true or bull****? Lol thank you all. Your response will be highly appreciated.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi, welcome to the hobby.

I think the seller was exaggerating somewhat. Yes, a move can stress a T but usually a few days will see it settle down and be fine. I'll be honest I'm still trying to imagine how a T could commit suicide :)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi, I am a newbie. I've been with my tarantula for like a week now I guess, but I gotta admit I got confused when the seller told me it might get stressed and there's a possibility that it might commit suicide cus I have been exploring blogs on Google but I haven't seen any topics about it yet. Based on your experience as a professional handler or keeper do you guys think it's true or bull****? Lol thank you all. Your response will be highly appreciated.
Hello and welcome to the forum. I agree with Enn, the move could be stressful but if you have all the right conditions (clean substrate, open water dish. A shelter to feel conformable with, the right temp/humidity and cross ventilation in the enclose) your T will settle after a day or so.
@Enn49 the only suicide scenario I can think of is that they spin a noose from their silk and hang themselves......which is of course, highly unlikely ☺

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
BTW.....what species did you get? If you are worried, post some pics of the spider in their enclosure and we can provide any advice needed on set up etc ☺

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the forum. I agree with Enn, the move could be stressful but if you have all the right conditions (clean substrate, open water dish. A shelter to feel conformable with, the right temp/humidity and cross ventilation in the enclose) your T will settle after a day or so.
@Enn49 the only suicide scenario I can think of is that they spin a noose from their silk and hang themselves......which is of course, highly unlikely ☺
Oh come on Phil! Everyone knows tarantulas practice vivisespulture!

Do fill us in on the good bits. What kind of a T you have, size, name if they have one, couple pictures as beens said are always welcome.
Folks here can steer you right if anything needs changing or fixing for your new pet.
Sounds as if the seller was having a rather mean joke at your expense.
For a T to commit suicide they would I assume, have to be able to experience emotion.
And quite simply, they don't.
We tend to anthropomorphize them. But in actuality, they just hang about being spiders.
No deep thoughts or bouts of depression. They ( most not all) do however go through a period of acclimatization in a new enclosure and curl up small in an attempt to be less open to predation until they figure out the safe spots. (Cozy nook, hide etc) they also will very probably explore every inch of their new home. Much as we would in a new house.

Last edited:

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oh come on Phil! Everyone knows tarantulas practice vivisespulture!

Do fill us in on the good bits. What kind of a T you have, size, name if they have one. couple pictures as beens said are always welcome. Folks here can steer you right if anything needs changing or fixing for your new pet.
Sounds as if the seller was having a rather mean joke at your expense.
For a T to commit suicide they would I assume, have to be able to experience emotion. And quite simply, they don't. We tend to anthromorohasize them. But in actuality, they just hang about being spiders. No deep thoughts or bouts of depression. They ( most not all) do however go through a period of acclimatization in a new enclosure and curl up small in an attempt to be less open to predation until they figure out the safe spots. (Cozy nook, hide etc) they also will very probably explore every inch of their new home. Much as we would in a new house.
So not true @Kymura .....mine often sulk when they hear me say that Genie (my big a.geniculata) is my favourite.....lmao.
Have to admit that I had to look up vivisespulture. Good call. That's funny

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
Hello and welcome. As everyone said, of course... No suicide thoughts for tarantulas.

Maybe what the seller meant was about the risks of handling: if you handle your tarantula, and she's afraid of something, she might run for escape... and fall on the floor from your hand (kind of a "suicidal" jump). Which could kill her. That's the only serious explanation I can find to what your seller told you.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello and welcome. As everyone said, of course... No suicide thoughts for tarantulas.

Maybe what the seller meant was about the risks of handling: if you handle your tarantula, and she's afraid of something, she might run for escape... and fall on the floor from your hand (kind of a "suicidal" jump). Which could kill her. That's the only serious explanation I can find to what your seller told you.
That is the only plausible scenario. Either the seller was having a laugh, or doesn't actually know that much at all. Either way, all the good folks on here will provide the best advice possible. ☺