• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Express vs. Priority (shipping Qs)

LeahThomas

3 Year Member
So I'm looking into purchasing a 4" H. maculata female, but she's across the country from me. Express (2 days) shipping is $40, but priority (2-3 days) is $9.

I'm curious as to what your experiences have been with priority shipping. I'm not about to drop $40 for shipping, that's almost as much as the T itself. However the seller told me she recommends express, because she claims bigger Ts don't handle stress very well.

Obviously I don't want a dead T to show up at my door step. I'd rather have a safe T. But like I said, $40 for shipping.... Ouch. What are your opinions?

CrystalRose

3 Year Member
It's hard to say. I've had most of my priority packages come in 2 days so that would be the same time frame as express. I had a T shipped from Oregon to Wisconsin priority and it made it in 2 days. All 3 of them were fine when they got here. I think a lot of it has to do with how well they are packed.

Shipping cost slows my T buying wayyyyy down too. I wouldn't mind paying express if I could find a bunch I wanted from one seller. My problem is I find one or two at one seller and then another couple with a different seller etc.

Tara Russell

3 Year Member
It's hard to say. I've had most of my priority packages come in 2 days so that would be the same time frame as express. I had a T shipped from Oregon to Wisconsin priority and it made it in 2 days. All 3 of them were fine when they got here. I think a lot of it has to do with how well they are packed.

Shipping cost slows my T buying wayyyyy down too. I wouldn't mind paying express if I could find a bunch I wanted from one seller. My problem is I find one or two at one seller and then another couple with a different seller etc.
So far yeah I ordered all my T's on priority so far no problems so far I've ordered two babies T and a Pink Toe T and all were alive

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Shipping costs are always tough to anticipate. I guess it depends on where your T is shipping from and to. It's still spring so it might be ok to go with priority. During summer and winter I'd probably lean towards express

HungryGhost

3 Year Member
The T's I've ordered have all been slings 1" or less. I've used both priority and express mail. Some dealers don't offer priority. The only DOA I've had was priority, but I don't think it had anything to do with it's death. These things happen from time to time. The replacement was sent priority and did fine.
That being said I've never ordered a large T by mail but personally I would pay the higher shipping cost for 2 reasons. First to ensure the T has as little stress as possible while shipping. Second I look at the extra cost as "break-even" type of situation. If you were to buy the T as a 1/4" sling, you would have to invest your time and money to get it to its current 4" size. What you save in husbandry, you pay for in shipping, even Steven ;).