• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Exo Terra tanks

Stat

3 Year Member
Yo all,

Looking to start moving some T, s to main homes wanted to know if anyone has ever had their T get stuck in the top mesh of an exo terra? Before I start getting a few.

Cheers for any advice

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Yo all,

Looking to start moving some T, s to main homes wanted to know if anyone has ever had their T get stuck in the top mesh of an exo terra? Before I start getting a few.

Cheers for any advice

From everything I've thus far learned, if it's an arboreal then it will be fine in there. Could it get a foot stuck and not be able to free itself? Well it could happen but is highly unlikely that the t couldn't get free.

If it's terrestrial/fossorial then it would be a risk, and you would need to change to hard plastic with drilled ventilation holes. However, the design of exo terras aren't suitable for terrestrials anyway as the low vents and front opening doors don't allow you to add the correct depth of substrate. In those circumstances even a cheap plastic box tub would be better as long as it's an appropriate size and you've put in ventilation.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
As Jess said they are perfectly fine for arboreals not suitable for fossorial but perfectly fine for terrestrial. Replacing the mesh is a personal preference (I did on mine as I had a slight issue with a n chromatus female I had) but in general if the substrate is correct then a terrestrial T won't climb to the lid anyway

Stat

3 Year Member
Thanks I did think this does anyone know of a decent tank other than these then? I will not have a massive collection but will be looking to have them on show so want glass preferably as it stands out more and is clearer to look through. I am also UK based.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Thanks I did think this does anyone know of a decent tank other than these then? I will not have a massive collection but will be looking to have them on show so want glass preferably as it stands out more and is clearer to look through. I am also UK based.
Hi
Im Uk based too.
I did swap the lids of mine to acrilic.
For 30x30x30cm exo terra the acrilic is £7 ,tube of safe silicone is £5(will be enough for 4 enclosures ish) and cheap soldering iron ( very useful item to make holes with)is another £7 and you good to go.The mod is dead easy to do.
I got all bits from ebay.Pm me if you want and I will send you links and acrilic dimensions
Regards Konstantin

Soulman

Hi
Im Uk based too.
I did swap the lids of mine to acrilic.
For 30x30x30cm exo terra the acrilic is £7 ,tube of safe silicone is £5(will be enough for 4 enclosures ish) and cheap soldering iron ( very useful item to make holes with)is another £7 and you good to go.The mod is dead easy to do.
I got all bits from ebay.Pm me if you want and I will send you links and acrilic dimensions
Regards Konstantin
it will damage the tips of the soldering iron.but if you're buying for this job ok.very easy to burn a hole to big.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
it will damage the tips of the soldering iron.but if you're buying for this job ok.very easy to burn a hole to big.
Yes its just a cheap soldering iron to burn plastic with.It even came with adjustable temperature from 200°C to 400°C
On 250°C 2mm aclylic dont burn as fast as plastic boxes and the tip only makes 5mm hole when pushed trough wich is fine for SA or Adult T that will fit in 30cm cube .
When burning plastic boxes for juveniles and large slings I set temp on minimum and keep switching the iron on and off to get it to melt slowly and is more easy to work with when small holes are needed.
Its true that drilled holes are much cleaner but there is chance to crack the acrylic too.
Regards Konstantin

Soulman

Yes its just a cheap soldering iron to burn plastic with.It even came with adjustable temperature from 200°C to 400°C
On 250°C 2mm aclylic dont burn as fast as plastic boxes and the tip only makes 5mm hole when pushed trough wich is fine for SA or Adult T that will fit in 30cm cube .
When burning plastic boxes for juveniles and large slings I set temp on minimum and keep switching the iron on and off to get it to melt slowly and is more easy to work with when small holes are needed.
Its true that drilled holes are much cleaner but there is chance to crack the acrylic too.
Regards Konstantin
I think the problem I had,was adjustable power was 58. And I was making holes in one lot,then maybe different containers,then maybe other ones.so I suppose two hot the some.not letting it cool between.I was doing as I was told.but does do the tip.

Latest posts